British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Descartes

Edward I ID Help

Chaps,

Please could I ask your advice regarding the classification of the two attached Edward I pennies.

I'm hoping the first is a 1c as I've been looking for a good quality one for ages! The second coin, although not so nice, is a Canterbury mint so a little different.

Many thanks,

Descartes

Ed1London.jpg

Ed1.jpg

Oh, and here are the reverses of the coins

Ed1LondonRev.jpg

Ed1CanterburyRev.jpg

No idea about classes Descartes, but both lovely looking coins.  Particularly the first.  Seller's pics look familiar too .. wonder where I've seen the like of those before?  :D

• Like 1

First a pleasant 1c and the second 3c Cant

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, davetmoneyer said:

First a pleasant 1c and the second 3c Cant

Thanks Davetmoneyer, you are a gem! :) I thought it was a 1c but I wanted to get an expert opinion. I now have all the class 1 pennies in top grade, except for the rather elusive 1a. 

I know the Canterbury isn't so aesthetic to look at but I haven't got any Edward I pennies minted from there!

1 hour ago, TomGoodheart said:

No idea about classes Descartes, but both lovely looking coins.  Particularly the first.  Seller's pics look familiar too .. wonder where I've seen the like of those before?  :D

Yes, I was also thinking that! You never mentioned you ‘bought’ these coins! Does this make you Mr Blencoe?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Descartes said:

Thanks Davetmoneyer, you are a gem! :) I thought it was a 1c but I wanted to get an expert opinion. I now have all the class 1 pennies in top grade, except for the rather elusive 1a. 

I know the Canterbury isn't so aesthetic to look at but I haven't got any Edward I pennies minted from there!

Wow, can we see your 1b? ?

11 minutes ago, Coinery said:

Oh, and just to add, a gorgeous pair of coins! Beautiful! 

Thanks Stu! :) I'm afraid I'm still in Ukraine working until 21st December and I don't have any pictures of my 1b on my laptop. I'll try and get my folks back home to take a pic on the phone. If not, when I return to the nest for the Christmas hols I'll post one on here myself.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Coinery said:

Yes, I was also thinking that! You never mentioned you ‘bought’ these coins! Does this make you Mr Blencoe?

I don't know if Mr. B lurks on this site, but he always gives me first dips on the Edward pennies ... super nice man ;) 

2 minutes ago, Descartes said:

I don't know if Mr. B lurks on this site, but he always gives me first dips on the Edward pennies ... super nice man ;) 

????

• Like 1

I'm a huge fan of this series, along with Henry III and Edward the Confessor. Here are some of my 1s. A repaired 1a, a stunning 1b and a 1c & 1d.

hx0sbb.jpg

Edited by HistoricCoinage
  • Like 3

Hi have another look at the last coin the crown has a base-band shaped shaped to the fleurs ( Class2), Otherwise nice coins. Took me 50 years to get my 1b then 3 come up for sale in a year or so!