British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Rob

Idiot (Normal for Brum?)

Standard Friday night entertainment round these parts. Nothing to see here...:P

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rob said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/must_see/42288252/prankster-defends-cementing-head-in-microwave

Not entirely stupid as he does wear a cap, helpfully marked O(bviously) B(rain) D(ead)

When his gang reach 1,000,000 hits on Youtube and start raking in advertising....maybe not so stupid.

He says "i could of died" well the answer to that is dont cement your head in a microwave.

They should of charged him a complete and utter waste of valuable time for the emergency services who struggle to look after people as it is,not loonies who cement there head in a microwave........:angry:

I hope not but maybe one day one of his family may need an ambulance but cant get there because another loon has had a go.

• Like 1

probably a skunk boy.

P.s  Not surprised hes from brum

Edited by copper123

He should definitely have to pay for the time of the emergency services. Irresponsible moron. 

30 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

He should definitely have to pay for the time of the emergency services. Irresponsible moron. 

Of course he should, but sadly he won't be.

they should try charging cats that get stuck up trees as well, after all they have bigger brains than some humans.

I think those teenagers  wearing jeans and a tshirt that get stuck on snowdon in november are pretty stupid as well

9 hours ago, copper123 said:

they should try charging cats that get stuck up trees as well, after all they have bigger brains than some humans.

I think those teenagers  wearing jeans and a tshirt that get stuck on snowdon in november are pretty stupid as well

I don't think the idiot was even wearing a top as far as I remember. People don't seem to realise the massive temperature drop that occurs as you climb, even to 3000 feet. The inevitable wind speed increase would mean the wind chill would have been pronounced. No wonder he got hypothermia.  

• Like 1

We get that often near me. People venturing up on to Pendle hill in just hoodies and trainers. MRT and helicopters are always passing by. Had a young couple brought off there about a week ago in a white out just before 10pm. No lights or compass or map, never even been up there before. Reckless and foolish. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ukstu said:

We get that often near me. People venturing up on to Pendle hill in just hoodies and trainers. MRT and helicopters are always passing by. Had a young couple brought off there about a week ago in a white out just before 10pm. No lights or compass or map, never even been up there before. Reckless and foolish. 

When I visited the Lake District in July 2003, it was during a hot spell. A friend and myself decided we were going to tackle Skiddaw - and to be fair, as the temperature at the surface was 26 degrees, we were just wearing tee shirts. At the start of the climb, until about maybe halfway up, it was very hot - in fact it was roasting under the baking Sun. But otherwise absolutely optimum conditions. Not sure if you know Skiddaw, but there is one particular stretch of the pathway we used, which is extremely steep, then not quite so bad. Any rate, from feeling as though we were going to collapse with heatstroke, it suddenly began to feel much cooler as we rounded a bend into a shady bit. At the summit, I would estimate the temperature to have been about 16 degrees only. A good 10 degrees cooler than the surface. The Sun was still just as hot, but as soon as you were in the shade, much much cooler - and that was in the height of Summer. 

The mountain sheep are tame and wander up to you, presumably expecting food. 

• Like 1

It's surprising how much different the weather can be when your at the bottom of a valley as opposed to the top. I've not climbed skiddaw. I once set off on a walk in August from Rivington heading up to Winterhill. I had shorts on and a tee shirt but had packed cold weather gear. The walk through the gardens up to the pike was oppressive the heat was similar to as you described. I must of consumed a litre of water before i reached the tower. 

Anyway within 5 mins of leaving the tower and heading out on to the moors towards the summit and masts the temperature plummeted to about 5 degrees and a cold wet fog descended on me , i then began to shiver so quickly threw my cold gear on. It was then that i realised why it was called Winterhill. I've experienced those conditions climbing peaks in the lakes but didn't realise these hills were similar.  But most people do not realise that when venturing up there. They see the beautiful pictures people take on clear days from the summits and assume its just like a pleasant stroll in the countryside so venture out ill prepared and under equipped for a changing environment. 

Edited by Ukstu
  • Like 1

How does anybody get lost walking to the top of Pendle Hill? I assume they parked at the Nick, so up the track to the top is a motorway. The ruts are deep enough to be a walking hazard! 

We went up there 6 weeks ago - it was windy as always, but a really clear day and a good view of the 3 Peaks.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rob said:

How does anybody get lost walking to the top of Pendle Hill? I assume they parked at the Nick, so up the track to the top is a motorway. The ruts are deep enough to be a walking hazard! 

We went up there 6 weeks ago - it was windy as always, but a really clear day and a good view of the 3 Peaks.

I think its people going up who've never been up there mainly and in poor conditions. I usually set off from the Well spring's pub and go that way up takes me just over an hour to hit summit. I've got slightly disoriented in fog but always kept to the trails so had no problems getting up there or back. 

This was the incident i was referring to recently. 

https://www.burnleyexpress.net/news/lost-couple-rescued-from-pendle-hill-1-8905552

Edited by Ukstu

I've once had to turn back off there and head down due to 70 mph+ winds that were only a light breeze by the pub carpark. I was literally taking 2 steps forward and being blown back 3. It was difficult just to stay upright. Very bizarre but it shows how different the weather can be within the space of a mile or so. 

Wind direction is going to be all important relative to the pub. It's always windier at the Nick because it funnels through the gap, but away from there it is mostly consistently exposed and so consistently windy. The bit before the stream crossing and the made up path is the only potentially sheltered section, but again that's wind direction dependant. Good for taking the kids to fly their kites :)

It's still worth a walk up there on a clear winter's day, cold or not. Summer is too much like a zoo.

• Like 1

It is yeah. Gets very busy in the summer. I've had my drone up there a few times. Get some great panoramic shots. Strange place it's got an aura that just draws you to it. Feel blessed to have it on my doorstep.

14 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

When I visited the Lake District in July 2003, it was during a hot spell. A friend and myself decided we were going to tackle Skiddaw - and to be fair, as the temperature at the surface was 26 degrees, we were just wearing tee shirts. At the start of the climb, until about maybe halfway up, it was very hot - in fact it was roasting under the baking Sun. But otherwise absolutely optimum conditions. Not sure if you know Skiddaw, but there is one particular stretch of the pathway we used, which is extremely steep, then not quite so bad. Any rate, from feeling as though we were going to collapse with heatstroke, it suddenly began to feel much cooler as we rounded a bend into a shady bit. At the summit, I would estimate the temperature to have been about 16 degrees only. A good 10 degrees cooler than the surface. The Sun was still just as hot, but as soon as you were in the shade, much much cooler - and that was in the height of Summer. 

The mountain sheep are tame and wander up to you, presumably expecting food. 

Mike

Were you just wearing tee shirts?   and wellies!!! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Peter said:

Mike

Were you just wearing tee shirts?   and wellies!!! :rolleyes:

Ha ha - jeans as well, Peter. Plus a decent pair of walking shoes.  

21 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

I don't think the idiot was even wearing a top as far as I remember. People don't seem to realise the massive temperature drop that occurs as you climb, even to 3000 feet. The inevitable wind speed increase would mean the wind chill would have been pronounced. No wonder he got hypothermia.  

The case I was thinking of was this one

• Like 1

My fav mountain is mam tor in derbyshire - its national trust car park means you can spend half a day there for around a fiver or just borrow someone elses national trust car badge (naughty naughty)

mam.jpg

mam.jpg

• Like 1

I stick to the East Anglian mountains....piece of cake.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, copper123 said:

My fav mountain is mam tor in derbyshire - its national trust car park means you can spend half a day there for around a fiver or just borrow someone elses national trust car badge (naughty naughty)

mam.jpg

mam.jpg

Or park a couple hundred yards down the road for free and walk the difference. ;)

13 hours ago, Rob said:

Or park a couple hundred yards down the road for free and walk the difference. ;)

you have to arrive pretty early in the morning to get a parking space in july and august

20 hours ago, copper123 said:

mam.jpg

mam.jpg

The far hill in the picture is Lose Hill, which is not too far from Win Hill (you can see the shoulder on the extreme right skyline). This was postulated by W J Andrew about a century ago as having some connection with the Battle of Brunanburgh, the location of which is still uncertain. Various theories put this on the Wirral, around the Humber or anywhere in between. Truth is, nobody knows. The location of the Battle of Brunanburgh is one of history's holy grails given its significance.

However, Andrew's theory could have some merit, as the old Roman road to the north passed close to this point, up from Buxton to Batham Gate and Edale, and we can make a reasonable assumption that the size of both English and Viking armies required the use of existing roads. And it's about a day's quick march to the sea in either direction which would tie in with the Sagas. 

• Like 1