British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
DaveG38

Edward The Confessor Moneyer ID

Just spent several fruitless hours going through auction sites and other websites trying to identify the moneyer for my Edward the Confessor penny. Can anyone help? The coin is the facing type (S 1183) and the inscription on the reverse appears to be something like 'AEDGA? On LU??. Clearly the mint is London and I'm assuming that the moneyer is probably AEDGAR. The only problem is that I can't find any reference to a moneyer named Aedgar from the online sources I've looked at. Anyone got a reference or can confirm my guess? 

There is no AEDGAR at London. Plenty of AE.............s, and an ALDGAR according to North. A picture would have been infinitely more useful than a description as spellings of the same name frequently varied. It is often to do with using up the space fully (empty gaps in the legend weren't allowed), or abbreviating a name to fit in both moneyer and mint. 

Thanks Rob. I was expecting a simple confirmation and didn't think a pic would be needed. Clearly, it isn't that simple, so here's a photo. It's not the best, taken in artificial light, but hopefully it shows the necessary detail.

PC090023.JPG

does look like  AEDGAR

Edited by craigy

sounds silly but there are other small cross types, you defo sure its ETC ?

Here's the obverse - looks like ETC to me, but if anyone knows differently then please say, as I'm no expert on hammered at all.

PC090025.JPG

• Like 1

I think it probably is the one described by North as Aldgar as there is no AED..... listed. A weak upper portion to the E could mislead the cataloguer. Eadgar is also listed for EdC at London. Aldgar (Aedgar) would make sense as he strikes in both EdC and H2, the above being a late issue. Maybe Clive has a bit to add.