British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
zookeeperz

1917 Missing waves?

Good morning good people . Two 1917 pennies but differences on reverse. Left hand coin larger legend especially noticeable the size of the P inner dimensions . Also missing waves along the left hand border. It has a very strange feature on the tide line. If you look on coin 2 where the normal tide line on the shield side it goes in a straight line and reaches the shield rock just over halfway up. Whereas on coin 1 the tide is angled downwards and meets the rock much lower down. Thoughts?

1917obvpenny-tile.jpg

Any chance of a better photos, its a bit blurry when enlarged.

A good example of how easy it is to demonstrate non-existent differences by using low resolution photographs, lighting differences and coins of varying degrees of wear across the coins. I am sure that in the hand, or if photographed identically, the dies would be shown to be identical.

As for possible ‘missing waves’, maybe but can’t tell from the photo. It is of course possible that this feature occurs on all dates wher the ‘greasing’ of new dies prior to use use took place, I find it hard to consider this a true variety, more akin to a mint error in that the die was not properly de-greased before use.

Jerry

1 minute ago, IanB said:

Any chance of a better photos, its a bit blurry when enlarged.

That's my best photography how very dare you lols :)

Sorry Ian best I can do. When I locate the bloody coins again i'll try and see if I can get a better set. I was going through my jpg's deleting all the old and sold to free up space. when I came across these. I'll try and hunt the blighters and get some more snaps and some close ups

And the king's moustache has been twirled on the right coin - or is it Hercule Poirot ????

• Like 1