British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

I have just bought quite a nice Victorian small desktop coin cabinet on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPERB-ANTIQUE-MAHOGANY-COIN-COLLECTORS-CABINET-1900-10-TRAYS-HOLDS-405-COINS/372152725822?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

However, I'm now a bit concerned that it may be missing a couple of trays since there is a space at the top of it that could easily accommodate two more or indeed a storage drawer. I must admit, I made the purchase using my mobile phone so when I took the plunge I missed seeing the gap at the top. Any opinions out there regarding this - see the original eBay listing that shows additional pictures of the item - has anyone else got a similar cabinet to this?

Thanks Frank

Coin Cabinet.jpg

Edited by hibernianscribe

A couple of ebay sellers (Forestgold and smokerings) make bespoke coin cabinets.(I have bought from both)

They have the skills that may assist you.

1 hour ago, hibernianscribe said:

I have just bought quite a nice Victorian small desktop coin cabinet on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPERB-ANTIQUE-MAHOGANY-COIN-COLLECTORS-CABINET-1900-10-TRAYS-HOLDS-405-COINS/372152725822?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

However, I'm now a bit concerned that it may be missing a couple of trays since there is a space at the top of it that could easily accommodate two more or indeed a storage drawer. I must admit, I made the purchase using my mobile phone so when I took the plunge I missed seeing the gap at the top. Any opinions out there regarding this - see the original eBay listing that shows additional pictures of the item - has anyone else got a similar cabinet to this?

Thanks Frank

Coin Cabinet.jpg

Maybe it's me not getting the correct perspective, but it doesn't look as though there's anything for additional drawers to slot into? The side look smooth. 

Got to be something to hold them in place, surely? 

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

Maybe it's me not getting the correct perspective, but it doesn't look as though there's anything for additional drawers to slot into? The side look smooth. 

Got to be something to hold them in place, surely? 

Actually, from the photos there appear to be no runners for the trays, they just sit atop each other. I have seen this arrangement before and for light trays it seems to work.

• Like 1

Does the level not drop slightly as you pull the trays out? The drop looks larger at the front of the cabinet than it does at the back unless that's just perspective. It could raise up once they are pushed in perhaps. 

It's possible the original owner left a large gap at the top to hold packs of silica gel?

These antique cabinets and the brass handles look identical to ones made by Spink and Sons. It is possible one company is making cabinets for different campanies.

I like these old cabinets they are just better made.

Edited by Taikonaut

5 minutes ago, Taikonaut said:

These antique cabinets and the brass handles look identical to ones made by Spink and Sons. It is possible one company is making cabinets for different campanies.

I like these old cabinets they are just better made.

Yes .....Spink would not of made them IMO just had there name put on ,i would of thought it would not be worth employing people and the setting up cost.

No doubt the people that did make them made them to Spink design and possibly slight differences.

Although i may well be wrong :)

You seem to have alot of these cabinets ,do you buy coins to put in them ?.

Hi Frank,

Did you manage to replace the 2 trays?

Your cabinet is known as "the Lincoln style" probably because collectors have got use to associate this style with the cabinets sold by the dealer Edgar Lincoln after they moved to Holles Street in 1900, though I'm sure this style exist long before Edgar Lincoln. I think a company started making coin cabinets in various style in the late 19th century, built themselves a reputation and won orders from leading coin dealers. Feedback from Richard Bishop from Spink who also thinks one company was making cabinets for other dealers with ivorine labels added for the retailers that include Spink & Son, AH Baldwin and Lincoln. ThIs company might have stayed in business for a couple of decades or more probably even into the early 1920s as the design has not evolved that much they can be quite difficult to accurately date when they were made.

Some of the "Lincoln style" have runners for each tray. Must admit I prefer it that way, much more practical than stacking.

1 hour ago, Taikonaut said:

Hi Frank,

Did you manage to replace the 2 trays?

Your cabinet is known as "the Lincoln style" probably because collectors have got use to associate this style with the cabinets sold by the dealer Edgar Lincoln after they moved to Holles Street in 1900, though I'm sure this style exist long before Edgar Lincoln. I think a company started making coin cabinets in various style in the late 19th century, built themselves a reputation and won orders from leading coin dealers. Feedback from Richard Bishop from Spink who also thinks one company was making cabinets for other dealers with ivorine labels added for the retailers that include Spink & Son, AH Baldwin and Lincoln. ThIs company might have stayed in business for a couple of decades or more probably even into the early 1920s as the design has not evolved that much they can be quite difficult to accurately date when they were made.

Some of the "Lincoln style" have runners for each tray. Must admit I prefer it that way, much more practical than stacking.

Thanks for that - in fact I did not take delivery in view of the missing trays - the seller refunded me without ever dispatching the item.

I'm still looking.

Frank

Hi all does anyone still have a contact for Peter Nichols?

1 hour ago, hazelman said:

Hi all does anyone still have a contact for Peter Nichols?

and If you want Peter Nichols himself, as opposed to just the firm, his number is (01424) 436682.

Still listed as Peter Nichols Stamp and Coin shop, at the Norman Road, St Leonards on Sea premises. 

Out of interest, a June 2017 Google Streetview shot of the shop, can be seen here 

Peter retired from cabinet making in October 2010, and his cabinet making business was taken over and is now run from Nottinghamshire.  

Edited by 1949threepence
  • Like 1