British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
craigy

Edward I Groat

does anyone own such a thing ?  would love to see 

There was one for sale on eBay the other day, from the chap who's been selling off that decent-grade collection.

Edited by Coinery

11 hours ago, Coinery said:

There was one for sale on eBay the other day, from the chap who's been selling off that decent-grade collection.

i know he's got some serious coinage 

Edw I groats are very expensive but not rare (I have photos of just over 100!)

Baldwin's Winter Price List has quite a decent one at £9,995.   I have one in about F and slightly bent - don't think I'll ever be able to upgrade! 

Anyone know of any fakes? Of course there is that pewter copy that's out there in the thousands, but any others?

On 26/11/2017 at 8:42 AM, Coinery said:

Looks like it's gone!

Guest John

Hello.

Could someone please help with the attribution of this coin?

Thank you!

John

hammered silver.JPG

hammered silver.JPG

hammered silver.JPG

Hi Edward II penny of Canterbury class 11b

Guest John

Thank you for very much for your response!

I also posted this coin to a Colonial Coin site here in the USA.

One member agreed with your assessment, Edward II Penny, Canterbury.

He had a different opinion regarding the class. He thought it might be Class 11a because the crown has a broken pearl on the left? You say 11b. I have no idea and no opinion one way or the other. Can you please confirm or deny a or b?

Thank you so much for you time!

John

Class 11 all have the damaged crown 11, hence the class 11! The sub-classes are organised around details like the letter shapes; round-backed, pointed-backed, etc.

• Like 1

Hi the letter C is anglebacked so class 11b or 11c, the letter A is normal so not 11c therefore class 11b

Guest John

you guys are awesome, thank you!

if you ever need some help with new money, i know quite a bit about contemporary counterfeit 1/2ds and farthings both english and irish. i have hundreds of different varieties. thanks again! John

Guest John

....from the Geo II, Geo III era.

Guest John

also, since i did not pay very much for the coin on ebay and since none of you guys bought it, am I to assume that this variety is quite common and not of much value in this condition? Thanks for your responses!

8 hours ago, Guest John said:

also, since i did not pay very much for the coin on ebay and since none of you guys bought it, am I to assume that this variety is quite common and not of much value in this condition? Thanks for your responses!

Nothing out of the ordinary I’m afraid. With the chip and crack i’d say less than £20 myself.

Guest John

that sounds about right, thank you.

John

Guest John

Here's one you may like a little better?

What can you tell me about it?

Thanks!

John

1567 six pence.JPG

Nice little unclipped sixpence of a fairly common date. Can dig out the BCW attribution for you tomorrow if you like? 

Guest John

thank you! what is the BCW?

John

If you want a hardbound copy they will do that too. It's probably only about 40 or 50 pounds on top of the basic book and protects the pages better than the softback.

Guest John

thank you, i will check it out!

john

Guest John

in your travels, you gents may come across newer money? i'm referring to coins of the geo II - geo III flavor. i'm particularly interested in 1/2d's and farthings, both english and irish. I'm buying! I actually collect contemporary counterfeits and evasions.  But I will take most anything with a readable date including regal. If you guys have anything you want to move, please contact me. You can describe what you have or shoot me a pix. I am buying! ....johnwlouis@comcast.net

Thank you for your consideration!

John