British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Polyphemus

small medieval silver - ID help

Hi!

Does anyone know what could this be? I bought it as a half penny but that's not the case... Perhaps it's somewhere form the Continent? Like the Low Countries?

It weights 0,40 g and measures 15 mm in diameter (max)

Some letters are visible but not all of them are readable...

Thanks in advance for the help!

Aaaand... I can't attach any files...

and the notification makes no sens - it says the files are over 0,49MB while I'm trying to attach a 250KB file...  Pls, help the beginner! :(

If you tried with an image, and then tried to add a smaller image, the forum would remember and not let you.

Try replying with the smaller image :)

(Oh and Hi and welcome !)

2 hours ago, Polyphemus said:

Hi!

Does anyone know what could this be? I bought it as a half penny but that's not the case... Perhaps it's somewhere form the Continent? Like the Low Countries?

It weights 0,40 g and measures 15 mm in diameter (max)

Some letters are visible but not all of them are readable...

Thanks in advance for the help!

Aaaand... I can't attach any files...

and the notification makes no sens - it says the files are over 0,49MB while I'm trying to attach a 250KB file...  Pls, help the beginner! :(

Hi poly you have to refresh the page if the pic was too big the first time. The page doesn't update itself and thinks you're still trying to post the bigger picture :)

It looks like a half penny of Henry VI. Rosette mascle issue , Calais Mint. c.1427-1430 Ad.

Villa Calais it would read on the reverse. 

Here's a similiar example 

http://www.leodishammeredcoins.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_music_info&products_id=99

Edited by Ukstu

It is similar, but still the most of the inscription does not match Henry's Calais issue.

if that was the case, the inscription should read: HENRIC xx REX xx ANGL and VIL - "diamond"LA xx CAL - IS*

instead here we have: ///SV/DEI xx GRA xx and VIL - LA D/DI xx //

( / stands for a missing letter or other symbol)

If it's not Calais it's Bristol. The mintmarks consistent with a Henry VI Restored half penny of Bristol. Which is spink 2090.  I can't add much more to that as there's not much to go on unfortunately. 

Edited by Ukstu

did you consider the hypothesis of a contemporary forgery ? 

The style of letters seems quite good but the position of some of them looks anomalous ..

Edited by Matteo95

19 hours ago, Matteo95 said:

did you consider the hypothesis of a contemporary forgery ? 

The style of letters seems quite good but the position of some of them looks anomalous ..

Good point. I hadn't taken that into consideration. I don't think its Bristol. I said Bristol as Calais & Bristol are the only coins of that period to feature Villa on them and he'd already ruled Calais out. Unfortunately i doubt we'll ever know , its like having 75 pieces of a 100 piece jigsaw puzzle plus the wear on top of that. Perhaps Dave G may know. 

Edited by Ukstu

30 minutes ago, Polyphemus said:

I guess this could be a forgery or perhaps an imitation.

While looking for anything similar, I've stumbled upon a very interesting website:

http://www.sterlingimitations.com/

- just... WOW! ;D

There is a good list of reference volumes attached as pdfs to this site. Not the easiest things to read IMO, but useful for anything that isn't illustrated.

1 hour ago, Polyphemus said:

I guess this could be a forgery or perhaps an imitation.

While looking for anything similar, I've stumbled upon a very interesting website:

http://www.sterlingimitations.com/

- just... WOW! ;D

See if you can make contact with whoever's running that site. Be worth sending your picture's to them for an opinion. You may get some answers.