British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Gaz T

victoria penny

Are Victoria pennies worth checking for being rare in this condition?

Thanks for any help.

victoria ob 001 (2).jpg

victoria penny 001 (2).jpg

Such "buried" pennies can have good detail, but often quite a lot of corrosion too. Your examples are VF for detail, but sadly have suffered quite a degree of damage. However, it is certainly worth checking them for rare varieties, of which there are more than a few in 1862 and 1863.

If you can find a copy of Freeman's "The Bronze Coinage of Britain" you will find all the information you need, or even more from Michael Gouby's book.

Edited by Peckris
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gaz T said:

Are Victoria pennies worth checking for being rare in this condition?

I personaly don't collect pennies but i have sold a couple in this condition, nothing rare but they still made £10 and £12 each which I considered quite respectable 

• Like 1

Take a look through my rarest penny website (below) - the pennies featured there will still be worth quite a bit even if corroded like yours.

Thanks for the info.

I always thought coppers as no good for collecting in this condition.. Over the years I have had hundreds maybe thousands out of the fields, going to start taking a safer container with me as some of the Vicky pennies come out in lovely condition but end up falling apart in my finds pouch. 

1 hour ago, secret santa said:

Take a look through my rarest penny website (below) - the pennies featured there will still be worth quite a bit even if corroded like yours.

I took a look at your site, your coins are a nice dark copper colour. Coins out of the soil always come out green, would they be acceptable to a collector?

10 minutes ago, Gaz T said:

I took a look at your site, your coins are a nice dark copper colour. Coins out of the soil always come out green, would they be acceptable to a collector?

Mostly not, but Hobson's Choice, you bet.

As Rob says, if there is only a handful known of a particular variety, collectors will snap them up regardless of condition. Some of the coins on my website are little better than washers, yet have sold for hundreds of pounds !

10 hours ago, Gaz T said:

If the detail is there, and the green is even, and there's no corrosion (big "ifs") - then I would say Yes, but only at a very large discount over the regular sort.