British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Paulus

USB Microscope

Can anyone recommend a particularly good one please?

adthanksvance

Andonstar..........works fine for me without spending hundreds Paul.

They are about £40 ish with the adjustable metal tripod thing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Paulus said:

Can anyone recommend a particularly good one please?

adthanksvance

Digital Blue QX5 is the best microscope I have ever found. I have two differant models of the Andonstar, and the QX5 is by far better than either one! They started selling the QX5 in Toys'r"Us, and later, it was sold to a new company that markets it now. Originally it costs $49.95, but now on eBay they sell up to about $70.00 (more or less). There is also a newer QX7 available, but I haven't tried it.

25 minutes ago, RLC35 said:

Digital Blue QX5 is the best microscope I have ever found. I have two differant models of the Andonstar, and the QX5 is by far better than either one! They started selling the QX5 in Toys'r"Us, and later, it was sold to a new company that markets it now. Originally it costs $49.95, but now on eBay they sell up to about $70.00 (more or less). There is also a newer QX7 available, but I haven't tried it.

They look spot on Bob and why you have used both that must be the better one ;)

Before buying a QX5 or later model, make sure that they are compatible with your operating system. My QX5 will not work on Windows 8/10. This compatibility should also be a part of the discussion.

20 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

They look spot on Bob and why you have used both that must be the better one ;)

I bought the andonstar first, and wasn't happy with them.

12 hours ago, Bernie said:

Before buying a QX5 or later model, make sure that they are compatible with your operating system. My QX5 will not work on Windows 8/10. This compatibility should also be a part of the discussion.

Good point Bernie. I use my QX5 with a older version of windows on a laptop. I haven't tried it on my larger system, though I think there are upgraded drivers available. I know the QX7 does have the 8/10 compatability, I just haven't seen a need to up grade. :rolleyes:

I bought a BRESSER with 5 year warranty £48 on ebay. It works fine on the lowest 20X but the magnification is too high for a lot of coin work. I don't think we need anything over 25 X . I think it would be good if someone came up with a software package that would compare coins with a view to spotting differences. Anyone know of something like that?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1887jubilee said:

I think it would be good if someone came up with a software package that would compare coins with a view to spotting differences. Anyone know of something like that?

I was thinkning about this yesterday, I'm not entirely sure how good it woulld be if the rotation is off a couple of degrees or for variants like cabinet friction, general circulation wear and lighting.

I guess I can have a go and see what happens when the nights draw in a bit more.

Edited by Unwilling Numismatist

I use the pencil garage inspection tool with its own copy stand for close up work if you have windows 10 it is far better than the black cylinder version with the led lights and the big plastic rim. If that wasn't there it would be ok but you can't get close enough and the detail is often fuzzy. Unless you have a lot of money  the stereo scopes are the best but bloody expensive. I use two one for close up work for over dates and such and 1 for distance . I have had about 10 different ones and tbh they are all pretty much alike. Apart from the cheapo ones with the lens upside down and moves inside the casing lol. All 2nds from bob todds market of naff items.  the ones I have now are

2MP USB Digital Microscope LED 500x 8 Endoscope Camera Stand for IC inspection £29

New Digital Camera Microscope X300 Coin Jewelry Gemstone Stamp Photo Stand Video Lighthouse £165 (not worth the money)

Cheaper versions are just as good. I have tried most of them . But you have seen my pics they aren't  too sad it's just virtually impossible to show proof mirrored surface or luster to some extent because its 2D top down so you make a trade off between quality picture or lack of detail. It doesn't do both unless you fart around with a glove and try catching it in the right light without it blurring lol.

This pic is from the little pencil scope I can go right in close on those but if you go too close you lose perspective of what you were looking for lol. But at that range it's nice and clear and sharp. The lighthouse one couldn't get that close but it is better for pictures of whole coins.

1986fivedrachmairev.jpg

Edited by zookeeperz

Hi amanda1, welcome to the forum. :)

Can I assume that since this is your first post, you are in some way connected with the company selling the above microscope and looking to boost sales?

It looks very much like the one I have, which is a generic model available from a number of different manufacturers at less than half the cost of the one you are advertising. On top of that, I would be unable to recommend it to someone looking to purchase one. It is adequate, but that's about it. I'm sure there must be much better models out there.

Please accept my apologies if I have misinterpreted your post.

• Like 2

I think Amanda only speaks Russian.  Anyway, she's been called away somewhere else I'm afraid.  Spamistan perhaps.

9 minutes ago, TomGoodheart said:

I think Amanda only speaks Russian. 

до свидания amanda1. :rolleyes:

Damn did I miss Amanda :unsure:. Oh well onwards and err onwards