British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Ukstu

Rhuddlan Half Penny

Half penny of Rhuddlan. Group 1 Class 1 of Henry II or Richard. Moneyer Halli. 

JointPics_20171115_113706.JPG

• Like 2

very nice,   retrograde N and 5 3 1 pellet crown configuration 

Edited by craigy
  • Like 1

Found it on the bay mixed in with a load of unresearched bits an bobs of hammered coins.

If anybody is after one similar somebody's listed one last night on its own though i think the description is wrong perhaps. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/John-cut-half-hammered-silver-penny-Halli-on-Rhuddlan-moneyer-mint-VF/263326027152

6 hours ago, Ukstu said:

Found it on the bay mixed in with a load of unresearched bits an bobs of hammered coins.

If anybody is after one similar somebody's listed one last night on its own though i think the description is wrong perhaps. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/John-cut-half-hammered-silver-penny-Halli-on-Rhuddlan-moneyer-mint-VF/263326027152

defo rhuddlan and bidders know it at that price

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, craigy said:

defo rhuddlan and bidders know it at that price

It is yeah. I think its Henry II/ Richard though. Not sure Halli struck under John. I don't normally collect cut halfs but can't resist it when a rare mint pops up. 

14 minutes ago, Ukstu said:

It is yeah. I think its Henry II/ Richard though. Not sure Halli struck under John. I don't normally collect cut halfs but can't resist it when a rare mint pops up. 

always wanted a rochester penny, or hordon on the hill, have a Carlisle henry 3 half 

• Like 2

Chichester is a hard one to get hold of as well. 

On 16/11/2017 at 1:17 PM, Ukstu said:

Nice example. I always keep my eye out for Rhuddlan cuts in unresearched job lots on eBay; you'd be surprised how many there are out there. I now have 17 (12 halves and 5 quarters) covering all Rhuddlan moneyers.

I must have missed that one though!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Coys55 said:

Nice example. I always keep my eye out for Rhuddlan cuts in unresearched job lots on eBay; you'd be surprised how many there are out there. I now have 17 (12 halves and 5 quarters) covering all Rhuddlan moneyers.

I must have missed that one though!

Not something i see often but i don't usually buy part coins. 

Do you collect the many short cross coins?

They were kind of the first hammered coins i started to collect. I sometimes deviate off in other directions but always seem to come back to the short cross series. There is so many avenues to explore with different mints , monarchs and moneyers i never bore of them. 

15 hours ago, Ukstu said:

Do you collect the many short cross coins?

Yes, I specoialise in Short cross and have around 100 at the moment. Probably around half are cut halves, which I only buy if they are cheap, in good condition and I can identify the mint and moneyer. I have picked up examples from the rarer mints that way, such as Carlisle, Worcester, Rochester and Wilton and of course Rhuddlan.

I have quite a few voided long cross (Henry III) and long cross pennies (Edward I-III) too and some other hammered pieces from various kings, a few groats and some Commowealth pieces. Oh, and I have a collection of milled crowns too.

• Like 1

Excellent.  Sounds like you've got a good knowledge of Plantagenet hammered coins. I am still chasing some of the rarer mints. I saw a complete Chichester on eBay a few weeks ago listed as an unknown hammered coin. Somebody else must of spotted it though as it went up quite high and I was outbid. It was a good example slightly off centre but the mint was eligible. I've got a few mules under John and a few that are not listed in Mass. That's the good thing about eBay , you can pick up stuff that's not been identified by dealers. 

Edited by Ukstu

1 hour ago, Ukstu said:

I've got a few mules under John and a few that are not listed in Mass.

I think I saw that Chichester too.

Do you have a copy of Mass? I do and find it invaluable, by far the best coin book I own. I also own three of the actual coins from his collection (# 574, 1241 & 1275)

I have 2 coins from the mass/sazama collection. Not great examples but worth owning for the provenance.

I finally acquired a copy of Mass a few months ago. Up til then I'd managed with a copy of Wrens Short cross coinage and Gerry Slevins Short cross legends. I still use the short cross legends more than mass. If you don't already own it , it is well worth adding to your Christmas list or one to own. 

The guy who wrote it is okay, i sometimes email him occasionally to ask him stuff , he'll also use some of my coins as examples in his updated editions of it with permission. 

Did you see the new coin of Henry II that was discovered by a detectorist last year? Moneyer Austin at Oxford , not listed in Mass although he had a rough idea of its existence. I posted a link to it on here a few months back.

• Like 1

I use my Mass all of the time (I got mine new from Spink 3 or 4 years ago and saw a used copy go on eBay for £102 a few weeks ago) and Wren is OK for a quick mint/moneyer/class check, but otherwise it's too basic. I also use Brand's BNJ paper "The Short Cross Coins Of Rhuddlan" whenever I pick up another Rhuddlan.

I'll try to pick up a copy of Short Cross Legends after Xmas - thanks for the recommendation.

I didn't see the Austin, but speaking of Mass, I picked up this example of Mass 704  (Class 2 Sitivene on L) in 2013. Like Mass's example it's on a misshapen flan, but mines shows that his example was missing a distinguishing extra floating stop over the L. Not the best condition, but my only class 2 and nice to be able to add something to a Mass example.

Richard I Penny 5 Obv.jpg

Richard I Penny 5 Rev.jpg

• Like 1

Thats a great find. Well done. I haven't managed to acquire any Class 2 coins yet. They are as you know rare as hens teeth. It's an excellent example. 

I think i own that £102 copy of Mass. Came to £107 with p&p , when i started collecting i placed more emphasis on buying coins rather than books about them. As time went by i wised up , it's taken me 4 years to find a copy. 

Here is the link to the Austin coin. Its a class 1b1. Mass had a cut half that spelled out USTIN. He lists it on page 86 as unknown. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/detectingdigsuk/status/711679605057388545

Yes, that's the one; I thought it was probably yours as they don't come up very often, especially on eBay. I spent ages searching for one and eventually called Spink's Numismatic book department and amazingly they had a new copy in stock for £75.

The Austin is amazing; effectively a new moneyer given that Mass didn't know what his example was, athough it's no longer unique...

I was pleased to pick up the class 2, and for what I thought to be a bargain £42; I don't think anyone else spotted it as a class 2. I can't remember seeing another for ages.

• Like 1

A very good price indeed. I must of missed that one. It's little discoveries like that which make it worthwhile trawling through hours of junk on eBay.