British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

bmack

William I PAXS Penny mint/moneyer identification?

I have a PAXS penny where I've been trying to establish the mint and moneyer but struggling to interpret the lettering. If anybody with familiarity of this coin type can help, that would be great.

Thanks in advance...

PAXS Penny O.jpg

PAXS penny R.jpg

• Like 1

It's a cast replica. It's marked with the little heart shape to the left of the portrait which shows it to be a replica. That's why its mushy looking and lacks detail. Sorry  

http://trade.ancestors.co.uk/products/timeline/coins/saxon-norman-william-i-penny-2023-6

Edited by Ukstu
Added
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Ukstu said:

It's a cast replica. It's marked with the little heart shape to the left of the portrait which shows it to be a replica. That's why its mushy looking and lacks detail. Sorry  

http://trade.ancestors.co.uk/products/timeline/coins/saxon-norman-william-i-penny-2023-6

seeing a lot of these lately

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, craigy said:

seeing a lot of these lately

Unfortunately yeah we are. I just hope he didn't part with too much cash for it. I'd definitely be chasing a refund for it that's for sure. 

Edited by Ukstu
Typo
  • Like 1

Thanks for the quick responses.......shame it's a replica, would have been a nice coin for collection otherwise. Fortunately was part of a 1000+ coin collection that was inherited, so no direct cost to myself, I suspect the original owner had believed it to be original as was listed as 'fine' £150, probably acquired at least 10 - 15 years ago, potentially several decades thou. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bmack said:

Thanks for the quick responses.......shame it's a replica, would have been a nice coin for collection otherwise. Fortunately was part of a 1000+ coin collection that was inherited, so no direct cost to myself, I suspect the original owner had believed it to be original as was listed as 'fine' £150, probably acquired at least 10 - 15 years ago, potentially several decades thou. 

Fairly new to the market them replicas with the heart shape stamp. Last few years anyway. 

9 hours ago, Ukstu said:

Fairly new to the market them replicas with the heart shape stamp. Last few years anyway. 

I'd be surprised if it wasn't 10 years at least, that's if my memory serves me correctly? I'm thinking of the Liz 3ds in particular, but I stand to be corrected. Time's a funny thing, it's what makes history so fascinating! :)

• Like 1