British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Gaz T

Continental Coin.

Turns out this little coin is a denier of Floris V, Count of Holland (1256-96)

struck early in the reign,

Voided long cross on the reverse,

very rare.

The type has been traced but as yet no specimens fit the legend, so work still in progress.

Thanks to Peter Spencer the editor and compiler of ID & V Desk in the searcher.

IMG_0760.jpg

IMG_0747.jpg

• Like 2

Nice work Gaz. Hope you get the full identity of the little bugger , nothing worse than having a coin and not knowing anything about it. I have a mystery coin that I think is Sicilian. Keep meaning to photograph it and post it up for an ID.

I'm getting the bug of trying to i.d my coins, I got myself a copy of the short - cross coinage by Christopher r wren, I had a few more short cross coins will put them up with my own interpretation of what I think they are lol.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ukstu said:

Nice work Gaz. Hope you get the full identity of the little bugger , nothing worse than having a coin and not knowing anything about it. I have a mystery coin that I think is Sicilian. Keep meaning to photograph it and post it up for an ID.

post yours up mate, I will have a look for it :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Ok bud. I'll take a picture of it shortly and post it up. Had me stumped for years. Not sure if it's a king or a pope on it. It may not even be a coin, could be a token. 

29 minutes ago, Gaz T said:

34 minutes ago, Gaz T said:

I'm getting the bug of trying to i.d my coins, I got myself a copy of the short - cross coinage by Christopher r wren, I had a few more short cross coins will put them up with my own interpretation of what I think they are lol.

Thats the best way to learn Gaz. You'll make mistakes but its all a learning curve. Took me awhile to suss things out and sometimes i have my niggling doubts especially with the sub classes. Once you understand the letters and styles you've got it sussed , the rest is just checking the monarch then class. 

Edited by Ukstu

The shapes of the letters I find difficult ... I cant tell if they are square or rounded... they all look similar, the early ones, wedge shaped seem ok ...lol you will have to have a look at my i.d s .. put me right.

I'm sort of totally lost with sub classes :blink:

Edited by Gaz T
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gaz T said:

The shapes of the letters I find difficult ... I cant tell if they are square or rounded... they all look similar, the early ones, wedge shaped seem ok ...lol you will have to have a look at my i.d s .. put me right.

I'm sort of totally lost with sub classes :blink:

You'll pick it up as you go along. It will become second nature after awhile. You'll find one and be able to just wipe the dirt off and ID it there and then ?

Hope so, was talking to my dad at the weekend about my coins, was saying I have no idea what most of them are or worth.

I just find them, give them a quick wash and into the box.

But I do love looking at them, tiny pieces of art.

• Like 1

They are indeed. If only they could tell stories. I often wonder whose handled them in the past. Fascinating hobby. Best of both worlds detecting and collecting.?

• Like 1

It depends on whether it is classed as an imitative type or not as to where it is likely to be listed. I've checked there's nothing with the above description listed in Chautard for Florent V, but you could try looking in Engel et Serrure if you can find someone with a copy. Sorry, don't have one - a big gap in the library. :(  Maybe John (Argentumandcoins) has a copy?

As close as I can find so far, legend on reverse of mine I believe will say    HOLLHO then maybe a mint mark of some kind., then   P or T

obverse is slightly different as well, no small cross before HOLLANDIE on this coin

I'm still searching, lol never looked at so many coins from Holland.

Graaf_Holland_Floris_V_kopje_of_penning (2).jpg

Edited by Gaz T
  • Like 2