British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

3 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Yes, that would seem a likely scenario. It certainly would have been a turn up for the books if they'd been minted in some special room reserved for displaying the talents of the RM. 

Burgundy vs Green? who knows?

There must be a reason why they are in different colour cases. Common sense prevailing if they were all the same only 1 colour case would of been made? Also I was of the understanding that despite the tag of proof likes the 1951 Crowns were all proofs?

Edited by zookeeperz

7 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

There must be a reason why they are in different colour cases. Common sense prevailing if they were all the same only 1 colour case would of been made?

Agreed. Wonder what the reason was.

2 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Agreed. Wonder what the reason was.

Could of been to exhibit the different finishes perhaps one with both dies polished and one with only 1 die polished? Would go a long way to explain the non cameo crowns and the cameo ones?

Edited by zookeeperz

10 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

Could of been to exhibit the different finishes perhaps one with both dies polished and one with only 1 die polished? Would go a long way to explain the non cameo crowns and the cameo ones?

Actually, if it's worth the bother, this might well be a question the RM might reasonably be expected to answer. True it's a long time ago, but it's not so old that it's lost in the mists of time, and there may well be well documented records as to why such a distinction exists.    

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

All the ones I've seen haven't shown any difference, e.g.  all of one kind being in a particular colour case.

7 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

2 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Actually, if it's worth the bother, this might well be a question the RM might reasonably be expected to answer. True it's a long time ago, but it's not so old that it's lost in the mists of time, and there may well be well documented records as to why such a distinction exists.    

Only thing with the RM they are worse than Hogwarts for revealing secrets :)

9 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

Only thing with the RM they are worse than Hogwarts for revealing secrets :)

Which is where a Freedom of Information Act request comes in handy. Mind, I'm not so naive as to imagine there aren't myriad ways round that.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1949threepence said:

Which is where a Freedom of Information Act request comes in handy. Mind, I'm not so naive as to imagine there aren't myriad ways round that.   

I just emailed them and asked. No harm in trying the direct route. They normally answer enquiries within 5 days. But seeing as it isn't a purchase question they might not answer at all lol

• Like 1

Just had a scoot about and it has been touted that over 1 million were struck on the spot at the festival. Seems an extremely large amount to me can't be right. However apparently and again I find an issue with this. They were housed in blue or green cases ( no mention of the burgundy ones of which I have 4) the blue ones were Cupro-nickel . The green ones were silver. So what were the  burgundy ones?

Edited by zookeeperz

13 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

I just emailed them and asked. No harm in trying the direct route. They normally answer enquiries within 5 days. But seeing as it isn't a purchase question they might not answer at all lol

Great. Keep us posted.

If you don't ask, the answer's always a lemon.  

• Like 1

None struck in silver, and quite a number were returned to the Motherland after the Fair. I think box colour was independent of any variable as far as metal or strike.

2 minutes ago, VickySilver said:

None struck in silver, and quite a number were returned to the Motherland after the Fair. I think box colour was independent of any variable as far as metal or strike.

The blue were struck at the festival itself. so we can get them out of the way. the other two colours if there were three would mean they were struck at the mint itself for non festival visitors . perhaps the guy meant purple/burgundy. I haven't seen any blue ones?

8 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

The blue were struck at the festival itself. so we can get them out of the way. the other two colours if there were three would mean they were struck at the mint itself for non festival visitors . perhaps the guy meant purple/burgundy. I haven't seen any blue ones?

I have seen 2 blue ones ,but have never managed to get my hands on one .nearly bought one a good few years ago ,but held off because the box was a bit of a state (regret it now ,cos it was only a couple of quid) .the green and burgundy boxes have 2 types ,one has a lid type box and also a slide on cover  type.There is also 2 different coa's .I am sure I have seen a proof set in a blue box too (might have imagined it though )

Edited by mick1271

30 minutes ago, mick1271 said:

I have seen 2 blue ones ,but have never managed to get my hands on one .nearly bought one a good few years ago ,but held off because the box was a bit of a state (regret it now ,cos it was only a couple of quid) .the green and burgundy boxes have 2 types ,one has a lid type box and also a slide on cover  type.There is also 2 different coa's .I am sure I have seen a proof set in a blue box too (might have imagined it though )

Is the proof box set issue not George and the Dragon as well? or do you mean on the sleeve cover on top of the box? Must be the green one that has a lid? my burgundy ones are all slide outs

Edited by zookeeperz

My green one is slide-out but I was eyeing a half decent (green) one in a lidded box a couple of weeks ago.

Not seen a blue one show up ever.

Edited by Unwilling Numismatist
colour

Hey that sounds a bit excessive! LOL

I just read where the leather HOLDER ALONE for the five 1913 Liberty Nickels sold for USD$10,800!

I think the green box is perhaps twice as rare as the burgundy (I've never seen a blue one), do others agree?

2 hours ago, pokal02 said:

I think the green box is perhaps twice as rare as the burgundy (I've never seen a blue one), do others agree?

Agreed, never seen one.

9 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

Is the proof box set issue not George and the Dragon as well? or do you mean on the sleeve cover on top of the box? Must be the green one that has a lid? my burgundy ones are all slide outs

I have both types of both colours .slide out seems to be the most common type of both colours , but the 2 blue ones I have seen were both lids.

• Like 1

Just a random thought on the colour of the boxes, was the different colours from different outlets? a bit like the modern crowns which came in the plastic wallets with 'Midland bank' 'Barclays' 'Lloyds' etc

1 hour ago, will1976 said:

Just a random thought on the colour of the boxes, was the different colours from different outlets? a bit like the modern crowns which came in the plastic wallets with 'Midland bank' 'Barclays' 'Lloyds' etc

Perhaps maroon were the ones sold at the Festival, while the green were the ones you ordered from the Mint? Just a thought.

So much conjecture. Why doesn't somebody just ask the mint?

11 hours ago, Rob said:

So much conjecture. Why doesn't somebody just ask the mint?

a) because conjecture is fun and c) who wants to wait 6 months for the Mint to be bothered to reply (that's even if they did, and assuming they know the answer)?

• Like 1

The latest email from Sovereign Rarities lists coins variously described as "Deep Cameo" and "Ultra Cameo". Are these places just trying to invent grades to get more money out of collectors ?