British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
craigy

Beyond Bc.

A Thurrock type potin, i think these were the first coins to be struck in Britain, my first Iron Age coin from an unrecorded Roman villa site i discovered and detect, had plenty of late iron age/ early roman pottery so there was always the chance of some iron age metalwork ,  this type dates from around 150 Bc to 120,  A nice time of year to be out in the fields detecting, albeit a tad muddy, 

P1020746.JPG

P1020748.JPG

• Like 4

Would these be struck, or just molten material dripped into water or onto a flat stone? Is there a consistent or recognisable design for this type of coin? I have no idea about then.

Great to have the beginning of it all in your hand I'll bet?

They were cast in strips in two piece clay moulds. They have a head on one side and charging bull on the other, and quality varies quite a lot. I have a lovely one that I found on a rally in Kent in the 90’s.

Jerry

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jelida said:

They were cast in strips in two piece clay moulds. They have a head on one side and charging bull on the other, and quality varies quite a lot. I have a lovely one that I found on a rally in Kent in the 90’s.

Jerry

yes the later ones are stylised, think the head is apollo  

What a little gem! :) another fantastic find.

Great find. ?

Interestingly I often wondered why the slower technology of making separate molds and casting when the much faster technique of striking was available Then I tride making a Thurrock style die set and blanks of potin ( high tin bronze) the first blank struck effectively destroyed the dieface as the potin seemingly shattered ( like sticking a glass blob) I then realised that the only way to use potin as a coinage metal was to cast the coin !

• Like 3

Striking not sticking ( damn predictive text)

10 hours ago, jelida said:

Jerry

Cheers, J, any pictures handy? I think I must have one of these at some point soon! :)

3 hours ago, davetmoneyer said:

Interestingly I often wondered why the slower technology of making separate molds and casting when the much faster technique of striking was available Then I tride making a Thurrock style die set and blanks of potin ( high tin bronze) the first blank struck effectively destroyed the dieface as the potin seemingly shattered ( like sticking a glass blob) I then realised that the only way to use potin as a coinage metal was to cast the coin !

Is potin that much harder than silver then?

I've got a few early potins. Ones a Leuci and the others a Tricasses or Senones. They were one of the first coins I ever bought due to them being at the time not highly sought after. The one Craig's posted above looks similar to my Leuci. Head on one side with a boar on the reverse.

Edited by Ukstu

Beyond BC?

There are a number of objects around our house which fit the bill, but if we're talking coins I have a few Greek, Alexander the Great, Philip of Macedon etc. and also these: Dolphin money from the Black Sea area, 5th to 3rd century BC. They were cast on poles, attached in rows at the tail end (think sprouts in their natural state), then tapped off when cooled.

Dolphin money.jpg

Edited by Michael-Roo
  • Like 2

Here you go. Here's one with the sprues still on it

c1757-Cantii Cast Potin Unit.jpg

• Like 1

One of mine.

JointPics_20171112_202526.JPG

27 minutes ago, Rob said:

always wanted one of them

2 hours ago, Rob said:

I'm guessing the sprues are ordinarily trimmed/filed and recycled? Must have been incredibly time consuming, and at a time when conventional dies were available? As Dave was saying...why?

2 hours ago, Michael-Roo said:

Beyond BC?

There are a number of objects around our house which fit the bill, but if we're talking coins I have a few Greek, Alexander the Great, Philip of Macedon etc. and also these: Dolphin money from the Black Sea area, 5th to 3rd century BC. They were cast on poles, attached in rows at the tail end (think sprouts in their natural state), then tapped off when cooled.

Dolphin money.jpg

They're great, never even heard of these before! Sprout sticks! :D Brilliant...knew what you meant instantly!

Bronze age ring money from a dig in Croatia.

DSCN6448.JPG

On 11/12/2017 at 3:30 PM, davetmoneyer said:

interesting, while your here, is this a copy ? 

23592064_10155848308183571_4019027816312133492_o.jpg

23511125_10155848307628571_8166937351833278519_o.jpg

Hi Yes a proposed coin for the Wirral mint copied from an ilse of man penny, copied from an Irish copy which was copied from an English Longcross penny of Aethelread II.

Made to look barbourous deliberately. Die set made for a Re-enactment group situated around the Wirral area