British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
zookeeperz

1863 colons

Morning all. Perusing as one does I picked up a coin from a toot box 1863 Penny. Noticed a few differences in the colons..The top colon after D: is missing completely the top colon after D. G: is a sideways oval shape and the bottom colon after F:D: D: is smaller than all the others. Any significance?

1863pennyobverse-vert.jpg

colons1863.jpg

23 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

Any significance?

1863pennyobverse-vert.jpg

Some might consider these consequences of die fill and wear significant - the ONF penny being another example, or the 1897 dot - but they are unlikely to be the consequences of a human act on the die, and many would argue they are not therefore true varieties. Personally while of interest, I would not feel they demand a place in my collection. 

Some might say perhaps the colon was never fully punched. Indeed,  but requires a leap of faith as that could never be truly proved, and could only really be considered if uncirculated coins from otherwise unworn dies were available that showed no mark at all.

My view anyway.

Jerry

• Like 1

I agree with Jerry. It's quite easy on worn coins to convince oneself that something is not as it should be, but collectibility is in the eye of the beholder although, as Jerry says, it is best to confirm genuine oddities on coins in EF or better condition (assuming one can find them - but if you can't, it probably means that they are not worth recording).

I can see a faint image of the upper colon dot after the D. Just very weak. Possibly a partially filled die.

Re: The different size colon dots, I've seen them before. Mostly on F-15 central cuts (which are rife with die repairs). Found on a few others too. Probably just a repair to the die.

We will never know for sure.

Edited by Bronze & Copper Collector