British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
PWA 1967

LCA December

Hmmm.....not bad. Several outstanding boxes ticked for me there. 

I have only identified one coin which is of any interest. Very little there for me.

• Like 1

Literally nothing for me either.

Incidentally, has anybody received their hard copy catalogue yet? I keep adding my name to the mailing list (3 times now), but nothing ever happens, and I've yet to receive one. 

Not a very exciting selection for hammered penny enthusiasts this time around.

Can anybody else spot something slightly wrong with this Festival of Britain VIP 1951 proof set?

link to item

proof set 1951.jpg

Edited by 1949threepence

2 Scottish shillings, no English

9 minutes ago, davidrj said:

2 Scottish shillings, no English

Precisely David. 

I wonder what the explanation is? It ought to be a good one considering the lower and upper estimates applied.  

I am not at all sure from the pictures provided that this is a "VIP" set. IMO, this term is overused and many more coins are seeming to fall into that category.

2 minutes ago, VickySilver said:

I am not at all sure from the pictures provided that this is a "VIP" set. IMO, this term is overused and many more coins are seeming to fall into that category.

They only mention the crown Vicky and feel they must be sure but i dont know anything about them

Think if it was mine i would of had slabbed and sold it on its own.

Additionally, It looks like the tags used to pull the coins have marked most of the set, with the exception of the crown and one of the shillings.

Whilst it's a very nice crown, I wouldn't be happy it's the original, given that it has no hint of similar marks to the others (check the obverses on the link and you'll get the idea).

And doesn't seem to match another "old school" VIP 1951 Crown I know.....Nice crown, yes. VIP, I don't see it.

Feel sure that a VIP set would not have been presented in a standard cardboard case.

Its NOT a VIP set and isnt priced or listed as one.

LCA do say that just the crown is VIP and the rest normal.... that is not impossible as i am aware of a dealer who had a set although 1953 with one coin VIP in it.

23 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Its NOT a VIP set and isnt priced or listed as one.

LCA do say that just the crown is VIP and the rest normal.... that is not impossible as i am aware of a dealer who had a set although 1953 with one coin VIP in it.

Yep, good point Pete. I was so fixated on the fact there were two Scottish shillings, that I completely missed the fact it was only the Crown which was VIP.

But - on that subject of VIP - just how do you tell the difference between them and a "normal" proof? Indeed, is there any material difference, or is it merely the fact that they are given to a VIP, which marks them out?     

Forgive my ignorance on this issue.

Out of interest, LCA have sold three1951 VIP Crowns previously. The first was lot 1301 on 2.6.13, hammer £3,600, second was Lot 2868 on 7.9.14, £2,800 and the third Lot 2044 on 7.12.14, £5,500.

On 11/12/2017 at 0:04 AM, PWA 1967 said:

They only mention the crown Vicky and feel they must be sure but i dont know anything about them

Think if it was mine i would of had slabbed and sold it on its own.

6 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Out of interest, LCA have sold three1951 VIP Crowns previously. The first was lot 1301 on 2.6.13, hammer £3,600, second was Lot 2868 on 7.9.14, £2,800 and the third Lot 2044 on 7.12.14, £5,500.

Yes Mike ,thats why i mentioned i would have slabbed and sold it on its own :)

You would know the difference immediately as the V.I.P proof is Frosted and the mirror surface is almost black like looking into an abyss. LCA VIP V my sad offering normal one :)

1951a-tile.jpg

Edited by zookeeperz
  • Like 1

lca a say a lot of thing, the whole vip proof thing is debatable i think, 

Cheers craigy. I get it now. 

There is another thread now on the subject, but I would say that I have definitely seen cameo contrast crowns of 1951 with mirror-black fields that I would not necessarily number amongst the "VIP". Or if they are, then the population of what some consider VIP will have to expand. I bought one labelled VIP from Spink many years ago that probably would be considered such. 

But, to belabour the point, I think many would feel comfortable about those that are NOT VIP, but the same could not be said for those considered by some to be VIP. There IMO is a spectrum of presentation and strike for this 1951 crown, with much the same to be said about the 1953. 5,000+ quid for one of these? Spare me! Although this may portend well for later proof coins....

Edited by VickySilver
  • Like 1

Here is my original one from pic above and my other 1 both pics I took today 1 after the other. like against like kind of bolsters that argument. as one is more prooflike cameo than the other

1951crowna-tile.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks chaps. Evidently this is quite a contentious issue. 

As you say @VickySilver paying £5000+ for a coin of uncertain pedigree (VIP or not?), seems somewhat impetuous.    

• Like 1