British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
craigy

4 corners of the UK in Hammered

All found in the same field over 3 years, England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales 

bottom middle Richard I Canterbury, Left William The Lion, Middle top Henry III Dublin, right Richard I/John Rhuddlan Wales

22861438_10154789473916020_5946485321946765819_o.jpg

Edited by craigy
  • Like 3

Forgive my ignorance, but what are the dates of these coins and is it common to find a coin from all 4 corners in the same field or would that be rare.

Was the field a site of importance such as an old market or something similar?

On 11/6/2017 at 8:57 PM, IanB said:

Forgive my ignorance, but what are the dates of these coins and is it common to find a coin from all 4 corners in the same field or would that be rare.

Was the field a site of importance such as an old market or something similar?

Rhuddlan is a scarce mint being the only welsh mint other than where the royal mint strike coins today in Llantrisant, 

they date between 1190  to 1272 roughly, yes i believe it was some kind of market or medieval deer park, not sure if its common to find them all on one field but i just thought it was rather interesting 

Every field is like one big lucky bag, you just never know what you are going to get. lovely finds, well done.

4 hours ago, craigy said:

Rhuddlan is a scarce mint being the only welsh mint other than where the royal mint strike coins today in Llantrisant, 

In fact there were coins minted at Swansea and Cardiff, and Pembroke post 1066 to the Anarchy, possibly also Abergavenny, and of course Aberystwyth under Charles I. My father has a good collection of the latter.

The Norman coins are all excessively rare.

Jerry

14 hours ago, jelida said:

In fact there were coins minted at Swansea and Cardiff, and Pembroke post 1066 to the Anarchy, possibly also Abergavenny, and of course Aberystwyth under Charles I. My father has a good collection of the latter.

The Norman coins are all excessively rare.

Jerry

yr right lol, need to be sure of my facts in future haha 

Also not forgetting Rhuddygors Castle in the reign of William II struck for LLewellyn, and Dovey Furnace in the latter years of Charles I

• Like 1

On 11/10/2017 at 1:49 PM, davetmoneyer said:

Also not forgetting Rhuddygors Castle in the reign of William II struck for LLewellyn, and Dovey Furnace in the latter years of Charles I

ok lol, enough haha, i look like a right pratt with my previous statement :ph34r::huh::rolleyes: