British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Rob

Sad News

It is with deep regret that I have to announce the loss of a forum member.

I was informed yesterday afternoon that Geoffrey Cope, aka Petitioncrown on the forum has passed away after a lengthy battle with cancer.

Geoff was a passionate collector of Roman coins and those of the British Isles, who had sought only the best pieces for over 50 years. His enthusiasm for acquiring new pieces was undiminished right up to a couple of weeks before his death. For a few years now, his stated mission was that if he could inspire 10 people a year to collect coins, then he had done his bit to make the hobby safe for the future. It is fair to say that a quick perusal of his website should inspire anyone interested in history and art to collect coins. As a great supporter and patron of all things numismatic, frequently making items from his collection available to museums in order that they should be available to a wider audience, his death is a loss to the wider hobby.

My thoughts are with his two sons and their families at this time.

• Like 3

Very sorry to learn of this.  My deepest condolences to his family.

• Like 1

Sad news. Condolences to his family.

• Like 1

Crikey that has spoilt my monday.:( Shite and bugger.His coins were the finest.I hope his nearest and dearest know what he had.

RIP Mr Petition Crown......I hope the currency 1718 1/4d stays in the UK....fking life is a bitch.

To inspire 10 people PA is a wonderful philosophy, and says a great deal about the man. I never had any contact with him, but can clearly see that he'll be missed. My sincere condolences to any and all that his passing affects. Go gently into the good night, Sir!

Stu his site Petitioncrowns will give an insight to Geoff.It humbles my collection.He will & be dearly missed.He told me that he once sold his house to buy a coin that he had to have.

Hopefully he can find Mrs Peter in heaven to prove I'm not the only coin nerd on the planet.

• Like 5

Very sad news :(

Very sad news. I corresponded with Geoff a few times and always enjoyed our 'conversations'.  Some of the coins he had .. well, pretty much all of the coins actually, were spectacular.  And of the greatest provenance too.  He really did buy the finest he could afford.

I am so so sorry to hear this news. 

Deepest sympathy to his family and friends.

A very sad loss.  

3 hours ago, Peter said:

Stu his site Petitioncrowns will give an insight to Geoff.It humbles my collection.He will & be dearly missed.He told me that he once sold his house to buy a coin that he had to have.

Hopefully he can find Mrs Peter in heaven to prove I'm not the only coin nerd on the planet.

Brilliant, Peter! What an epitaph "He sold his house to buy a coin he had to have!" Proper! ?

Sad loss, sorry to hear the news.......thoughts are with his family, also had the pleasure of a few conversations with him via email :(

I have a very old email address which I kept open purely for the irregular petitioncrown emails. Sadly, I can close it now. Thank you Geoff and farewell.

:':(

Edited by Peckris

have never met or heard of him but i can see you all have fond memories for him, Rip and my heartfelt condolences to you all and his family 

• Like 1

Sorry to hear the news. Condolences to his family.

A Gentleman who was always happiest discussing coins. RIP Geoff.