British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Gaz T

Henry III

Henry III long cross without sceptre

I have absolutely no idea what the reverse legend says ... I can see SEDMVHD.

Help appreciated.

henry III 002 (2).jpg

henry III 001 (2).jpg

The mint is Bury St Edmunds. Moneyer is Ion . He struck from 2a upto 5a3. This website should aid you further with tying the class down exactly.

www.henry3.com

Edited by Ukstu

Henricus rex terci, as above bury st edmunds, the X in rex tells me its class 2b 

2 minutes ago, craigy said:

Henricus rex terci, as above bury st edmunds, the X in rex tells me its class 2b 

Sounds good. He does have the long narrow bust of 2b. ?

Thanks so much guys. Does the terci stand for bury st Edmunds I can just see the TE.

• Like 1

No Terci is for three. King Henry Terci! It was eventually replaced in later class coins by III becoming HENRICUS REX III

Edited by Ukstu

Thanks UKstu :rolleyes: .. how did they spell bury st Edmunds was it the EDMVHD it just says bury st Edmunds in the book I have, not the abbreviation of it. 

It wasn't meant to be the full exact mint name, they couldn't fit it all on so it was abbreviated. I make it as IOH/OHS’/EDM/VHD which i suppose would translate as Ion at St edmunds so it would be SEDMUND as what looks like an H is actually an N and the V is a U. Hope that makes sense.?

Edited by Ukstu
  • Like 1

Yes makes perfect sense, I'm sure if I see it again I will know :rolleyes: thanks again.

• Like 1