British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Gaz T

i.d please

I'm not sure but think its Henry III short cross Nichole on Lund.

Now I'm not sure how to class coins. but I think it's class 7b as this looks like coin number 1356B in Coins of  England, but what is confusing for the class 7b it says ..Letter A with square top, M appears as H, now in the legend there is no A or M. how does this work ?

thanks for any help.

short cross 001 (3).jpg

short cross rev 001 (2).jpg

It is indeed a Henry III Nichole at London mint. In my book it has Nicolas de sancto albano(Nichole) starting off at class 7c so it can't be a 7b. If i could see the X in rex more clearly i could say with 100% certainty what class it is. Nichole worked 7c- 8c right up to the end of the short cross series in 1247. He was reported to have died in 1253 Ad. 

"This is only a guess but I'd go with 7c1 , 7c2 or 7c3" so you could probably mark it as 7c. 

Hope this helps. ?

Edited by Ukstu

After much examination & scrutinizing i think its a 7c3. The N and D kind of looks litigated and this is only seen with this Moneyer in class 7c3 and 8b also they are the only two classes that end with a D in London but if it were an 8b coin it would start with a cross pommee before the N in Nichole so i feel its highly likely a 7c3. 

Edited by Ukstu

Thank you UKstu

fab i.d

what books do you use for your identification?, sorry what does the three stand for in the 7c3.

Don't think I did so bad :D

You actually did good for just a spink price guide which i assume you were using. The 3 is just a sub class. There's subtle differences in coins in between the classes so they get a sub class. 

I used a combination of books. Jp masses collection of short cross coins and Gerry slevins short cross legends.  The last one probably being the more up-to-date of the two and more affordable if you were looking for a good guide. 

Yes spinks 2010 coins of England, I will have a look for the more affordable one :rolleyes: thanks very much.

4 minutes ago, Gaz T said:

Yes spinks 2010 coins of England, I will have a look for the more affordable one :rolleyes: thanks very much.

Your welcome. Shortcross legends is on Amazon. Priced £35- 40 i think. Its constantly being updated with new editions so well worth buying.