British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Hi I have just joined this forum in the hope that someone may be willing to help me understand about a few coins that my father used to own. I have a One Penny 1860 coin (and some others.) I understand they are common, but there seems to be so many sorts and I am confused about a few things, like whether it is beaded on the face side. I can see clearly that it is toothed on the reverse.  I  also would like to know about the quality and wonder if anyone could help me please as I would like to sell them. I've tried to attach some photos but was unable, so may need help here too.  Thank you in advance! 

Hi.

The teeth are joined to the rim so there is not a gap,were as the beaded one is on a small scale like dots round the edge (beads) and will show a gap being circular.

Ideally it would be nice if the beads were on one side and the teeth on the other.

As far as anything else you are correct and would need to post some pictures........Hopefully someone can help you with that.

Good luck selling them although there are thousands of them for people to choose from and most collectable ones are the ones that show all the detail.

Dont be in a rush to sell them as you never know one might be worth a few quid :)

Thank you very much PWA1967 This is why I am confused. I can really see the teath clearly on reverse but looks like a mixture of both to me on the face side. Ill try and post a picture again 

6 hours ago, LouiseT said:

Thank you very much PWA1967 This is why I am confused. I can really see the teath clearly on reverse but looks like a mixture of both to me on the face side. Ill try and post a picture again 

Yes they can have that appearence sometimes especially about 25 past if it was a clock :D

Why you are learning that one side is called the reverse....the face side is called the obverse.

Edited by PWA 1967

Hehe thank you! I had the word observe in my head but knew that wasn't quite right!