British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
palves

Penny 1861

Hi everyone, 

This coin came in a mix with roman (!!!) coins, I was trying to id it and got a bit confused with Spink's obverse and reverse types. As far as I can see it does not have L C WYON in either side. Would this be an obv 5 and rev G. My area of interested in Portuguese hammered coins, so I am a bit at lost...

thanks in advance.

PA

IMG_1445_cr (Large).jpg

IMG_1444_cr (Large).jpg

33 minutes ago, palves said:

Hi everyone, 

This coin came in a mix with roman (!!!) coins, I was trying to id it and got a bit confused with Spink's obverse and reverse types. As far as I can see it does not have L C WYON in either side. Would this be an obv 5 and rev G. My area of interested in Portuguese hammered coins, so I am a bit at lost...

thanks in advance.

PA

IMG_1445_cr (Large).jpg

IMG_1444_cr (Large).jpg

6+G obverse 6 has the B of Britt closer to the head than on any other obverse and nearly all obv 6 have a die flaw behind the colon D: closest to the border line next to the queens sholder

Edited by zookeeperz

Cheers! 

Yup, F33. Take a look at my varieties website (below) to help with identifying obverse/reverse varieties.

• Like 1

If you're not familar with them, some of the 1861 varieties can be quite tricky to ID.

Not a 5 minute job learning the subtle variations either, as I can testify. 

On 11/1/2017 at 7:34 AM, secret santa said:

Yup, F33. Take a look at my varieties website (below) to help with identifying obverse/reverse varieties.

I concur....

F-33