British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Coinery

Ed Penny, contemporary forgery???

Told me the image was too big in the first post! Obviously much smaller 30 seconds later? ?

IMG_3661.PNG

1 minute ago, craigy said:

cant see anything

Frustrating stuff! :)

Just now, Coinery said:

Told me the image was too big in the first post! Obviously much smaller 30 seconds later? ?

IMG_3661.PNG

that side looks ok, 

Just now, craigy said:

that side looks ok, 

Don't you think the hair/crown and bust look wrong though?

i'll get the Rev up, it's a York coin!

If it is a contemp forgery its bloody good. First impressions are its ok mate. If it was contemporary forgery wouldn't it be base metal silvered or low quality silver? In which case it would be in bad shape after a prolonged period in the ground. I think its fine that mate. Usually with forgerys of that period the letterings all messed up and blundered. I can read that perfectly EBORACI is spot on.

Edited by Ukstu

Hi fairly routine Edward I class 3b York coin, York is the commonest mint for 3b, then London Canterbury Bristol the rarest Durham. (Bury coin is debateable and is more likely to be class 3d

• Like 1

Many thanks, chaps! Not my kind of grade, but caught my eye as being unusual, so always worth a quick discussion on here. :)

• Like 1

The lettering looks good to me, although, like you said, Stu, the hair does look a bit dodgy. Maybe it's just the ghosting from the reverse cross and the weak strike that's doing it?

na looks fine, defo real 

Totally agree it looks fine! It was a spontaneous post, ahead of actually getting the chance to dig around a bit myself. :)

So, from the wonderful Withers' Galata Guide, in which I believe you have been duly credited, Dave, I give you below (because it won't let me add it here) class 3b. I love this series.

I cover some of these in my upcoming book "Forgotten Coins." Look at the "R" I see som surface peeling and what is the weight to regal. A picture is generally not enough to confirm silver silvering over a copper core.

See Amazon Books in about a month.

John Lorenzo

Numismatist

United States

John have you read all the posts in this topic?, the coin is not a forgery or a continental imitation but is a normal issue coin of class 3b from the York mint

John is one of our visitors who pops in every now and again when he's got something to plug or sell! I think it was a verdigris removal product last time? ?

On 01/11/2017 at 9:46 AM, Coinery said:

Give up! Will try again later!

IMG_3675.PNG