British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

zookeeperz

1966 Finger Penny

8 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

Sorry smoke missed this post. See pic above in original post the colons I just picked The F: D: for simplicity left hand picture the colons are circular in formation whilst the colons on the second picture are oval in their formation or design. Both pictures were taken by myself from 2 coins from 1967 bank rolls at the same time one after the other all the distances are exactly the same

1967roundpunctuation-tile2.jpg

Thank you for explaining this for me. I will now have a look through all the 1967 pennies I have.

On ‎31‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:28 PM, UPINSMOKE said:

Can you explain please as I have a load of 1967 pennies I would like to check out.

This is the 1967 with the extremely elongated colons.   Terry

1967  circulation penny  ex ovaling of colons - Copy.JPG

On 31 October 2017 at 11:28 PM, UPINSMOKE said:

Can you explain please as I have a load of 1967 pennies I would like to check out.

You do realise that even if only 1% of the total mintage is one of those varieties, that's still 5m pennies? :lol:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Peckris said:

You do realise that even if only 1% of the total mintage is one of those varieties, that's still 5m pennies? :lol:

I guess you're on a hiding to nothing anyway when you add a 1967 penny to your collection? One can presume at that stage you're hook-line-and-sinker, and may as well have the rarer 1967 penny too! :)

Not my own personal bag, though, I'm sure you understand! 

• Like 1

Think it just keeps the interest looking for something you have not got even if the difference is hardly noticeable.

Will only cost pence to buy one and never going to be worth anything its just the looking and comparing with others.

I bought a penny for 99p last week that is worth nothing to most people but had been looking for one for months :)

Thats why i want to know..........What in crying out loud is a FINGER PENNY :lol:

• Like 1

Just now, PWA 1967 said:

Thats why i want to know..........What in crying out loud is a FINGER PENNY :lol:

It is the response you give when offered an extremely rare 1967 penny for no more than a few pounds.

• Like 2

I found a wide rim penny But I only thought they came in the smaller denom 1967 half penny?:D

5 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

I found a wide rim penny But I only thought they came in the smaller denom 1967 half penny?:D

All good fun Zoo.......:lol:

16 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

:D

I bet if people start buying them Rob you will soon be looking ;)

Not very seriously I won't. If I inadvertently come across something, then you could reasonably expect me to milk it, but o/w the only things I look for are the obvious things like wide/narrow date, die number, halfpenny numbers, open 3 or obvious legend errors etc. Anything not passing the audition gets weighed in. There are too many low grade things out there which may or may not be worth something, but by definition are unlikely to be, which are better off melted. And I'm not going to start checking every Elizabeth II penny I come across. It's bad enough dealing with worn bun heads.

I was only joking they wont be worth anything anyway a 1967 penny with probably a tiny difference :D nobody seems to have a clue what one is or probably bothered.

Calling DAVE G....................:)

12 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

I was only joking they wont be worth anything anyway a 1967 penny with probably a tiny difference :D nobody seems to have a clue what one is or probably bothered.

Calling DAVE G....................:)

I've had a look back through all the notes and references that I used for my book, and I'm afraid I can't find the reference to the 'finger' penny. The decriptions of pretty much all the varieties in my books were based on reported varieties, but I did make sure as far as I could that I tracked down an example of whatever variety I was describing. Often this was based on eBay photographs of coins for sale, or pictures on dealer's websites - I certainly never tried to obtain them all for my collection, so I don't have a 'finger' penny example to photograph and put up on here. Sorry all, but I fear this variety is only going to come to light if somebody finds one and can relate their coin to the description I give i.e. a small projection from the 9th plume from the front of the helmet.  

48 minutes ago, DaveG38 said:

I've had a look back through all the notes and references that I used for my book, and I'm afraid I can't find the reference to the 'finger' penny. The decriptions of pretty much all the varieties in my books were based on reported varieties, but I did make sure as far as I could that I tracked down an example of whatever variety I was describing. Often this was based on eBay photographs of coins for sale, or pictures on dealer's websites - I certainly never tried to obtain them all for my collection, so I don't have a 'finger' penny example to photograph and put up on here. Sorry all, but I fear this variety is only going to come to light if somebody finds one and can relate their coin to the description I give i.e. a small projection from the 9th plume from the front of the helmet.  

Thanks for the reply Dave.

1 hour ago, PWA 1967 said:

Thanks for the reply Dave.

That's OK. Sorry for the delay, but I've been up to neck in other stuff lately.

whilst we are here about 1966 finger penny sadly nothing to add at this time. but there is a Doubled Die 1967 penny with the left section of St A.C. cross missing and 3 lines on the exergue . only thing is the picture of the whole coin is in that safe place :lol:. But I shall track it down. But here are some close ups 

1967dd.jpg

1967DDwavesmissingleftcross.jpg

• Like 1

Nasty finger dislocation too, looks painful :)

Edited by Unwilling Numismatist
  • Like 1

On 29/10/2017 at 0:40 PM, zookeeperz said:

1966 Finger /die flaw @ around the 9th plume from the front so anti-clockwise. Is this it? 

No. I believe it refers to this;

extra helmet plume.jpg

1966 variants.jpg

From A.R.Alexander's & A.M.Lisk's excellent series, Variants of the Modern British Penny 1895-1967 published in Coin Monthly between April 1977 and February 1978.

• Like 2

Incuse wave? Oh no here we go again. Out with the Pennies lols. :) all good fun. Great Info Hawk nice 1 :D

Richard

Thank you for posting AardHawk.

Is there anything of interest in any of the other articles please,possibly something that is not mentioned anywere else ?

I have know old coin monthly to check :)

I have Part 6 on the computer but cant find or have any others.

Edited by PWA 1967

28 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

Incuse wave? Oh no here we go again. Out with the Pennies lols. :) all good fun. Great Info Hawk nice 1 :D

I have the incuse wave variety! Cost me £10 from a Phoenix Fair for a BU specimen  some years ago. (There's one born every minute...)

Just in case it's of interest, here is the 1970 list of known coin varieties (at that time) by David Sealy and published in the Coins & Medals annual for the year: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zkw5a84yv88c2o8/Coin%20Varieties%201970.pdf?raw=1

Edited by Peckris
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Peckris said:

I have the incuse wave variety! Cost me £10 from a Phoenix Fair for a BU specimen  some years ago. (There's one born every minute...)

what it look like Peck? do you have a Piccy? :)

I actually don't (not easy for me - I have a different type of disability, though I am good with cameras). It's not very exciting, it's a very thin wavy line to the left of the lighthouse, not quite as high as the lighthouse itself. I've looked for a picture online but Google is no help, and Michael Gouby's / Tony Clayton's sites don't have even a mention let alone a picture. :(

17 minutes ago, Peckris said:

I actually don't (not easy for me - I have a different type of disability, though I am good with cameras). It's not very exciting, it's a very thin wavy line to the left of the lighthouse, not quite as high as the lighthouse itself. I've looked for a picture online but Google is no help, and Michael Gouby's / Tony Clayton's sites don't have even a mention let alone a picture. :(

I remember when google sent you where you wanted to go straight away with 1 or 2 alternatives. Now any word in a sentence is a link to the beyond of god knows where. It's absolutely crap now worthless tool.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zookeeperz said:

Richard

This is the wave type

1966 High  wave type.JPG

• Like 1