British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
PWA 1967

Facebook coins

I dont use faceache :)  but wondered how many do use it to buy or sell coins.

A couple of weeks ago a forum member was kind enough to purchase a coin on my behalf and having a look a lot are being sold on there.

The seller was also kind enough to send me a collectors coins book price guide and If anyone wants it FOC please PM me your address.

Is facebook something anyone on here uses ?.

Edited by PWA 1967

I use it, as you know Pete. I've had a couple of decent buys but there's a lot of rubbish too. There is more risk involved than with ebay, but think as long as you use PayPal Goods and Services then you should be reasonably well protected.

13 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

I use it, as you know Pete. I've had a couple of decent buys but there's a lot of rubbish too. There is more risk involved than with ebay, but think as long as you use PayPal Goods and Services then you should be reasonably well protected.

Spot on. I have had some nice stuff off Facebook but there is a lot of dross to trawl through.

I've never seen anything on there worth buying.  

It depends what you are after and if you sort through the dross and decimal coinage on there. I picked this shilling up for £16 via an auction format. 1816-shilling-2.jpg

Bargains are very very rare but they do crop up.

I dont know if most on here dont use facebook like myself or dont want to post :)

Must be a big coin market with millions of users , do you see dealers listing coins each week / month and if so are some of the coin groups large ?

Surely anything is better than the Rang on ebay.

Edited by PWA 1967

If it is that good, they could always make it available to all and sundry and be a competitor to eBay. Maybe that way they would get people to join.

eBay has got too big to be much use for sellers as there is too much material for buyers to sensibly plough through. I'm sure the way forward is an auction site with a low fixed listing cost for everybody - say £1. That way you will eliminate 90%+ of the dross that is only listed because it is free to do so and encourage the average quality rating to improve dramatically. It would take a lot of things away from traditional auction houses too if the pricing structure for buyers' fees was addressed. The internet does bring benefits, but businesses ultimately need to make a living. all those anxious to buy everything at 99p will one day want or need to sell. Presumably they will be happy receiving 99p less costs for their period of ownership?

I was in a few groups on facebook prob the ones you guys were in pre-decimal group and another but the toxicity of folk just puts me right off. I guess whoever the guy is Darren had the right idea he auctioned off tickets @ w/e price per ticket So he knew when all were sold his cost or call it reserve price was auto fixed e.g 50 tickets @ £2 for a kew 50 p.  . He always had punters falling over themselves to get tickets and he never over did things like 1000 tickets or ridiculous amounts. One of the good guys. It serves well as reputation builds quickly and if you flout it and try and hoodwink folk your name will spread across the channel quicker than verdigris on an old penny. Lost touch a little as I couldn't sit and watch decent folk get taken advantage of. 1966 Half Penny in a coin capsule £5 "posted" If it came by securicor I wouldn't give £5 maybe for 10 lol

Are the facebook auctions done along similar lines to the colin cooke sales.

Start day / end day you send a private bid and the seller just keeps ubdating it to a cut off ?.

So no last second snipe which i assume is daft and not possible.

How does it work please and do they sell just a few ?.

I think the seller gives a start time and a finish time. a start price and bid incr of a £1. He then counts down the sale like 90 mins ,hour left, 30 mins down 10 secs left then end . Not private bids

There is a 1906 Shilling on there £120 CGS 70 Gouby 2A. Now does he mean obv 2 rev A or 2A rev A? because if he means the former that coin has been wrongly attributed. That coin is the rarer type obverse 2A with the split foot on R  short arm of E and the straight legs away from the adjacent legend letters. How can CGS make such an oversight. Unless it was slabbed pre 2009?

46 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

So no last second snipe which i assume is daft and not possible.

Sniping is possible but more difficult. Firstly, there's no accurate countdown. Secondly, if the current bid is at £20 and you snipe at £40 and win, you win at £40. On ebay you'd win at £20 + 1 bid increment.

One of the bad things about Facebook is the sellers end the auctions at the time on their PC. There can be lag. You can bid and be the last bidder on your screen but not on theirs. This really is a problem if there are a lot of people bidding. Just because you think you are the last bidder isn't always the case.

2 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

There is a 1906 Shilling on there £120 CGS 70 Gouby 2A. Now does he mean obv 2 rev A or 2A rev A? because if he means the former that coin has been wrongly attributed. That coin is the rarer type obverse 2A with the split foot on R  short arm of E and the straight legs away from the adjacent legend letters. How can CGS make such an oversight. Unless it was slabbed pre 2009?

Andrew is on here. Ask him? I'm sure he will help.

Surely its better to bid in increments until someone says they are out or time has elapsed with them not replying.

I go back to the Colin Cooke way .....Just done on a much smaller scale.

Counting down seconds sound daft although i bid £5 and someone else bids £20 and i cant come back is like some kind of postal bidding thing .

Anyway its all about a bit of fun and something different that could be done with a group of people who trust eachother and share the same interests.

Counting down seconds :o

10 seconds

Hammer noise :lol:

Hat off to them all though and going to have to get on this facebook

Wow...I had no idea you could buy coins using Facebook.  Can anyone recommend pages/groups they use/frequent?

Another interesting buying alternative that's getting off the ground here in the U.S. is Great Collections (www.greatcollections.com).  It combines aspects of a traditional auction house with those of eBay and it's for coins and currency only.

For example, eBay gets a straight 10% of the final sales prices from the seller while the buyers pay nothing more than the winning bid plus any shipping costs.  Then, PayPal wants their 3% of your sales price.  So as a seller, go ahead and knock 13% off the winning bid.  Great Collections on the other hand only takes 5% from the seller (nothing if the final sales price is over $1,000) but the buyer pays a 10% buyer's premium.  Great Collections mails checks to the sellers so the 3% taken from PayPal is also eliminated.  So it's really a win-win.  Great Collections gets to put a bit of coin in their pocket, the seller is only losing 5% (at most) of the final sales prices versus 13% and the buyers/collectors get access to some nice coins without having to pay the 20+% buyer's premium that traditional auction houses charge.

One caveat...all coins sold on Great Collections are slabbed/graded (I can actually hear multiple eyes rolling from across the Atlantic :)).  The nice thing is if you want to sell your coins on Great Collections (versus eBay) but they're raw and you don't have a TPG account, you can send them to Great Collections and they'll have them sent to the TPG they believe will yield the best grade and ultimately, sale.

It's mostly U.S. coins which I like because once a week or so, I'll go to the site and type "Great Britain" in the search field.  Since the majority of bidders are there for U.S. coins, I've picked up a few nice numismatic British coins at a bargain.  Not sure if they ship overseas but if you find something you must have, I'd be happy to facilitate getting it to you and at the lowest possible shipping cost.  I've started doing this as a favor to help out my numismatic brothers and sisters on TSF as many U.S. based dealers don't ship overseas or if they do they charge an arm and a leg (I'm a strong believer in Karma).

Anywho...if you all can point me to a FB group selling coins you like, I'd be most grateful.  Hope you all are having a great weekend!

- Carson (Jester)

Edited by Jester

Just search for 'English coins' and 'predecimal' and the groups should pop up. I know most won't ship abroad. I had an awful experience with a Canadian on there a year or so back so will not ship over there. One or two will ship abroad such as Martin Platt.

Edited by Nonmortuus
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Nonmortuus said:

Just search for 'English coins' and 'predecimal' and the groups should pop up. I know most won't ship abroad. I had an awful experience with a Canadian on there a year or so back so will not ship over there. One or two will ship abroad such as Martin Platt.

That's because canadian customs are OTT rather like Australia. they open every package and do not handle goods with any care.

1 hour ago, PWA 1967 said:

Surely its better to bid in increments until someone says they are out or time has elapsed with them not replying.

I go back to the Colin Cooke way .....Just done on a much smaller scale.

Counting down seconds sound daft although i bid £5 and someone else bids £20 and i cant come back is like some kind of postal bidding thing .

Anyway its all about a bit of fun and something different that could be done with a group of people who trust eachother and share the same interests.

Counting down seconds :o

10 seconds

Hammer noise :lol:

Hat off to them all though and going to have to get on this facebook

No its last 10 seconds no counts after that then they just type end . lol you couldnt type quick enough with the slight delay in internet timing . Actually they could put no more bids once it gets to ten seconds a kind of cool down would stop all snipers those who type before would be fastest finger first same as all auctions unless it is still within your price range. But I doubt anything goes that cheap and probably close to it's real value in all honesty.

Edited by zookeeperz

2 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

That's because canadian customs are OTT rather like Australia. they open every package and do not handle goods with any care.

No it was not customs, it was the buyer. I wont deal with him again and will not ship to Canada or the US unless it is via a US friend.

9 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

I dont know if most on here dont use facebook like myself or dont want to post :)

Must be a big coin market with millions of users , do you see dealers listing coins each week / month and if so are some of the coin groups large ?

Surely anything is better than the Rang on ebay.

From what I've seen, they mostly tend to be modern decimal or foreign coins. 

39 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

From what I've seen, they mostly tend to be modern decimal or foreign coins. 

No No not so mon amis :)  I re-joined my old group "Pre-decimal British coins buy and trade only" (no decimal coins allowed ) . Admin is Peter MCclelland he has his own website Britannia coins

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

No No not so mon amis :)  I re-joined my old group "Pre-decimal British coins buy and trade only" (no decimal coins allowed ) . Admin is Peter MCclelland he has his own website Britannia coins

Merci, M. Poirot :P

I shall take a look at his website 

I wanted to comment on a coin I saw on there but I might be way off base and don't want to upset anyone. But there is a guy who has a 1930 wreath crown no provenance but everyone is as you would remarking on how lovely it is. But here's the thing these wreaths are proof coins and every detail is perfection. I wouldn't expect a genuine wreath to have design elements not struck up or parts of the design missing. It looks from the picture suspect to me. but then again I suspect everything anyway lol. Like one side of the rim is twice as wide with rim line running around it and excess metal splodges. I hope for his sake it's just a poor picture.

:(

39 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

But here's the thing these wreaths are proof coins and every detail is perfection.

Only the 1927 was proof, from the sets. There are currency issues of the others. I've got a 1929 in about VF.