British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

will1976

British Trade Dollar

I have in my collection a 1930 trade dollar for use in the far east and my understanding is that this date was minted solely by the Royal Mint in London and doesn't have a mint mark, however my example has a 'B' for the Bombay mint in India. Does anybody know if any examples of this date was minted in Bombay or do I have a forgery, the diameter and weight are correct and it was bought from a reputable dealer. As I only wanted an example for the design I haven't questioned the mint mark before

35 minutes ago, will1976 said:

I have in my collection a 1930 trade dollar for use in the far east and my understanding is that this date was minted solely by the Royal Mint in London and doesn't have a mint mark, however my example has a 'B' for the Bombay mint in India. Does anybody know if any examples of this date was minted in Bombay or do I have a forgery, the diameter and weight are correct and it was bought from a reputable dealer. As I only wanted an example for the design I haven't questioned the mint mark before

I seen NGC slabs and PCGS slabs with them in and the all appear to have and incuse B on the center trident prong. Lots of fakes will have as well and there are thousands of them. bur if you bought from a reputable dealer you should be ok. failing that take a few snapshots and post them and I amsure you're mind will be put a rest :) 

Edited by zookeeperz

22 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

I seen NGC slabs and PCGS slabs with them in and the all appear to have and incuse B on the center trident prong. Lots of fakes will have as well and there are thousands of them. bur if you bought from a reputable dealer you should be ok. failing that take a few snapshots and post them and I amsure you're mind will be put a rest :) 

Thank you that puts my mind at rest somewhat, I know there are forgeries of some dates but as this is quite a common date I'm sure it's fine. At the moment I don't have a camera so can't upload any pictures

Only just noticed this thread so sorry about the late reply. In Linecar's "The Crown Pieces of Great Britain" he lists a 1930 Bombay Trade Dollar No 205.