British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

VickySilver

What is the Actual Mintage of the 1983 Two "NEW PENCE"?

I know this topic has been broached before, but I was wondering if anybody (hello Rob?) might have an idea how many total 1983 Two "New Pence" were struck. I have seen and have the Martini set, heard of the Heinz and the alleged Royal Mint sets that included these. I've also seen some evidently worn specimens on ebay (counterfeit maybe?). I'm wondering if anyone has hazarded a reasonable guess as to how many total are out there of all types & maybe how many were struck. I have seen one estimate of 20 but think this must be low, but admit to having no idea as to how many out there...

2 hours ago, VickySilver said:

I know this topic has been broached before, but I was wondering if anybody (hello Rob?) might have an idea how many total 1983 Two "New Pence" were struck. I have seen and have the Martini set, heard of the Heinz and the alleged Royal Mint sets that included these. I've also seen some evidently worn specimens on ebay (counterfeit maybe?). I'm wondering if anyone has hazarded a reasonable guess as to how many total are out there of all types & maybe how many were struck. I have seen one estimate of 20 but think this must be low, but admit to having no idea as to how many out there...

The Royal mint as always very cagey about amounts.  but 681,000 were struck in 1983 Allegedly and only for the BU sets and proof sets No royal mint set had coins with New pence error on them.It only concerned the Heinz and Martini sets. Not all of those had the mules in . Doesn't really answer your question fully I know but . It can't be very many

I think the coin may have some legs, but hard to determine prices. The RM really have even worse problems for those coins struck for foreign  countries, both currency and so-called collector versions....

3 hours ago, VickySilver said:

I think the coin may have some legs, but hard to determine prices. The RM really have even worse problems for those coins struck for foreign  countries, both currency and so-called collector versions....

£600-£900 Is the general concensus, But  I think in our hysteria fuelled society after seeing the die 5 1863 and narrow 3 1863 pennies  in no better than fine grade trade our for £35,000

Any amount wouldn't surprise me. I am thinking at least the £1000-£1200 mark?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4049058/Time-shake-piggy-bank-1983-New-Pence-2p-coin-worth-THOUSANDS-thanks-error-production.html

This is the kind of misinformation that fuels the hysteria. These fake news people. If that coin sold for £100 on fleabay then it is a fake. Obviously 2 different coins and I doubt that coin came from a BU or proof set. Reporter claims thousands were made in error. Total BS . People can search mount kilimanjaro and they will never find one. Unless someone who had a set decided to just lob it in his pocket lol. I know Michael Gouby had a set for sale but no idea what he wanted for it or if it is still available

Edited by zookeeperz
  • Like 1

One sold in the last DNW.... if i remember correctly £900 plus premium or there abouts.

5 hours ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

Doesn't the Martini set have Martini written on the cover? And why show only the reverse of a coin so valuable. Sorry but no way would I dip my toe unless I saw the 1983 that goes with the reverse :)  It is the heinz with the name on the cover. Still would want to see the obverse 

Edited by zookeeperz

The Martini ad is on the inside of back cover of the set. Nada on front cover. 

Guest Mike
On 26/10/2017 at 3:54 AM, zookeeperz said:

£600-£900 Is the general concensus, But  I think in our hysteria fuelled society after seeing the die 5 1863 and narrow 3 1863 pennies  in no better than fine grade trade our for £35,000

Any amount wouldn't surprise me. I am thinking at least the £1000-£1200 mark?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4049058/Time-shake-piggy-bank-1983-New-Pence-2p-coin-worth-THOUSANDS-thanks-error-production.html

This is the kind of misinformation that fuels the hysteria. These fake news people. If that coin sold for £100 on fleabay then it is a fake. Obviously 2 different coins and I doubt that coin came from a BU or proof set. Reporter claims thousands were made in error. Total BS . People can search mount kilimanjaro and they will never find one. Unless someone who had a set decided to just lob it in his pocket lol. I know Michael Gouby had a set for sale but no idea what he wanted for it or if it is still available

I have a set for sale with the error coin also has original paperwork including the compliment slip     £1750            07591860202 

20180404_235834.jpg

20180404_235848.jpg

20180404_235834.jpg

20180404_235848.jpg

20180404_235834.jpg

20180404_235848.jpg

Please could you provide a higher definition image of the 2p, both heads and tails.

Also a picture of the front of the pack.

Thank you.

• Like 1

I think £1750 is a bit hopeful. This one finished on Ebay recently for £1119 - still seems a lot for such a modern thing but well under Guest Mike's expectations. (His Ebay listing also appears in the page...)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ULTRA-RARE-1983-COIN-SET-WITH-NEW-PENCE-2P-ERROR-COIN-/222898036265?hash=item33e5c21e29%3Ag%3AV8cAAOSwJstat86e&nma=true&si=eUj7fy05BKcsN%252B5hCt1igtsauSU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I agree, that is a bit over the top. I can see the 1000-1200 range, that's about it for now at least. A bit anticlimactic to see a set that looks like pretty much any other, save the variety. Still, glad to have one.

There is another article in which a Stamp collecting dealer poo poo's the existence of silver 2 pences struck in error. Should stick to the business he knows rather than comment as if an authority when he clearly doesn't know as much as he thinks and debunks them as myths. Plenty of articles on these coins and all verified by the royal mint . If memory serves the last one sold for £1300. :) I think it sometimes becomes a case of the green eyed monster because someone hasn't seen one or doesn't own one it therefore must be fake? queer as folk are sometimes. Been down that road as well lol

Edited by zookeeperz

This coin at least is something that came out of the royal mint and proved a good investment

To my knowlage they were fetching £300- £400 around 2000  but the market , while not white hot is slowly heating up

My guess would be 50 minted , but its just a guess

9 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

There is another article in which a Stamp collecting dealer poo poo's the existence of silver 2 pences struck in error. Should stick to the business he knows rather than comment as if an authority when he clearly doesn't know as much as he thinks and debunks them as myths. Plenty of articles on these coins and all verified by the royal mint . If memory serves the last one sold for £1300. :) I think it sometimes becomes a case of the green eyed monster because someone hasn't seen one or doesn't own one it therefore must be fake? queer as folk are sometimes. Been down that road as well lol

What date was it?

I suspect a good many more than that, just they haven't been spotted before. Guest Mike has one, so does VickySilver - and I found I have one today in a neglected set. Another on Ebay within the last two weeks - all sounds like a lot more than 50.

10 hours ago, Paddy said:

I suspect a good many more than that, just they haven't been spotted before. Guest Mike has one, so does VickySilver - and I found I have one today in a neglected set. Another on Ebay within the last two weeks - all sounds like a lot more than 50.

Sorry - realised after I went to bed that you were talking about the Silver twopences, not the 1983 New Pence. My bad! :wacko:

I have seen it reported that there were circa 600 New Pence 2 pence in the sets,

There have been sterling silver year sets that have been issued by the RM, I had a 1996 set where all the coins were 0.925, could be some of these are being broken and sold individually for large profits

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Peckris said:

What date was it?

I actually misread the silver part. nickel plated steel hence the reference silver but in colour only the date was 2016 . I think everyone read the article  "silver 2p found in poppy appeal box"? :) .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-36530514

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chingford said:

I have seen it reported that there were circa 600 New Pence 2 pence in the sets,

There have been sterling silver year sets that have been issued by the RM, I had a 1996 set where all the coins were 0.925, could be some of these are being broken and sold individually for large profits

Hence my question about the date - 1996 was the 25th anniversary set of decimals and every coin from 50p down to penny was silver, so if it's dated 1996 it's not rare.

Now i always thought it was confined to Heinz and Martini sets and was not in the annual BU set, i have read many threads on here to back that up. But there is one on ebay right now!

I've just looked on Ebay under "two pence 1983".

Nearly 100 hopeful twats pitching the usual crap.

Do you have a link to the coin you mean?

Might have more luck if the price was reduced by a third to less than a grand.

20 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

Might have more luck if the price was reduced by a third to less than a grand.

Or if the "make offer" facility was available. 

• Like 1