British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
zookeeperz

1909 identification markers

I am a little confused as to the markers to identify reverse D and  E . I usually plum straight for the 1 in date over the border tooth but that isn't always visible . So I have to use the other markers which also doesn't shed much light on lowballers . Now I think I have a pretty good eye for angles and following lines of sight . Now this picture below is of a normal REV D 1909 but there is no way in the world I am convinced that the P No matter what angle you looked at it will ever line up with a border tooth same for the trident center prong. So my question is are there more varients than is thought?

1909.jpg

1909trip.jpg

3 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

I am a little confused as to the markers to identify reverse D and  E . I usually plum straight for the 1 in date over the border tooth but that isn't always visible . So I have to use the other markers which also doesn't shed much light on lowballers . Now I think I have a pretty good eye for angles and following lines of sight . Now this picture below is of a normal REV D 1909 but there is no way in the world I am convinced that the P No matter what angle you looked at it will ever line up with a border tooth same for the trident center prong. So my question is are there more varients than is thought?

1909.jpg

1909trip.jpg

Hi , below is my 2+e 1909, as you said the 1 in date should be directly over the tooth, but also the right side down stroke of the N in ONE should point to the gap between the teeth.  Terry1909  f169   terrys.JPG

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, terrysoldpennies said:

Hi , below is my 2+e 1909, as you said the 1 in date should be directly over the tooth, but also the right side down stroke of the N in ONE should point to the gap between the teeth.  Terry1909  f169   terrys.JPG

Also Terry your P is pointing to the tooth and should be the gap or is that an optical illusion? I going by  Davids markers for ID but it seems some coins don't abide by the rule. As mine clearly is a normal rev D but has 2 markers for rev E yours is rev E with one ID marker for rev D. ?

11 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

Also Terry your P is pointing to the tooth and should be the gap or is that an optical illusion? I going by  Davids markers for ID but it seems some coins don't abide by the rule. As mine clearly is a normal rev D but has 2 markers for rev E yours is rev E with one ID marker for rev D. ?

The P in PENNY on the 2+e points to the tooth, but there is a tiny edge knock , all the other 1909s I have the P point just to the right of the tooth.    Terry

3 minutes ago, terrysoldpennies said:

The P in PENNY on the 2+e points to the tooth, but there is a tiny edge knock , all the other 1909s I have the P point just to the right of the tooth.    Terry

So it looks like forget the P and the trident and just use the 1 in the date and the N legs  pointing to space :)  I think there must be an inbetweeny somehow I say that because I see the normal 1909 and the 1 you can see sits right in the gap and other coins you have to keep looking and looking because it's half on and half off but definitely not over the tooth fully?

Edited by zookeeperz

Just now, zookeeperz said:

So it looks like forget the P and the trident and just use the 1 in the date and the N legs  pointing to space :) 

One other identifier is the sea to the right of the coin which touches onto the tooth on the E , but on the D it is to a gap between the teeth.  

I would say that the P is either slightly clockwise of the tooth or slightly anticlockwise of the tooth. I would also suggest that if the 1 is not visible the value is going to be small ever if the rarer variety.