British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
DrP

Roman/Greek/Polemic?

I am struggling to identify this. The head has 'Mako...' on it. That might be the start of a name. the obverse is an eagle on a scroll or a thunderbolt. The guy I got it from thought it was Roman. I thought roman republic, greek or polemic. anyone know what it might be?

Thanks.

1.jpg

2_n.jpg

PS - it is about 10.7 grams and I realise I didn't include a scaling object. It is about 2 cm across.

You might struggle for people with in depth ancients knowledge on here. Can't help, sorry.

just a little bit more information.  Have a look at this:

"Commodus Billon Tetradrachm of Alexandria. Year 30=189/190 AD. M A KOM ANTW CEBEV CEB, laureate head right / LΛ in right field, eagle with open wings standing right on thunderbolt. Dattari 3905"

Alexandria Milne 2696

http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/commodus/i.html

Also, after a quick search, I can't find one for sale, so saying that, it should hold some value.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ShaggyBFC said:

just a little bit more information.  Have a look at this:

"Commodus Billon Tetradrachm of Alexandria. Year 30=189/190 AD. M A KOM ANTW CEBEV CEB, laureate head right / LΛ in right field, eagle with open wings standing right on thunderbolt. Dattari 3905"

Alexandria Milne 2696

http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/commodus/i.html

Also, after a quick search, I can't find one for sale, so saying that, it should hold some value.

On the assumption it is real in that case. Roman coins are widely copied, which results in many sales, just none recorded through auction houses. Nothing to compare with at least rings a warning bell and warrants further research

• Like 2

Thanks again - I might take it to the Archaeology society in town, they have a coin guy there.

It does look a bit like that one, but some of the writing is missing on mine if it is the same. It doesn't have wrl written on it or anything, lol, and it feels nice, cold and heavy. I bought it from a guy at our coin fair recently - he has a lot of nice coins, but mainly 16th to 20th century British and world coins. He doesn't know much about Roman coins but I don't think it is a fake. I will investigate further though.