British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Unwilling Numismatist

Does anyone have an interest in Religious tokens and medals?

I have a couple of curios from a recent collection purchase which I'm entirely flummoxed by.

Is there anyone here who has an interest in this area, and could offer an opinion

bagerap is probably (but not necessarily because I have no idea of the extent of our other forum users' knowledge) your best bet. :)

Edited by mrbadexample

Yes, that would indeed be me.

I'm genuinely curious, what's the low down on religious tokens chaps?

They're a bread and butter line for me. When nothing else is selling, holy medals will always put a few bob in the till. Lat week was slow but I sold five. I've had to restock  so much this weekend that half the items have no text, just pictures.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/BAGERAP?section_id=18342460

Look like silver medallets issued in 2000. Probably Vatican. Silver content will determine the price.

The signature is unknown to me and I think that they look pretty rough. Modernism doesn't sell well in that market. It would be interesting if you could see what is stamped in the two cartouches.

Thanks for the reply - they sort of look rough but at the same time don't, when in the hand .. I think my lack of a decent macro lens doesn't help (along with needing to practice my lighting and using a copy stand...)

2 minutes, let me see just how good the shot was.

The oval looks to contain 925 in both, so a spot of sterling.

The longer one .. really hard to see, so I'll have to re-shoot them with a different lens and a stand.

4 hours ago, bagerap said:

They're a bread and butter line for me. When nothing else is selling, holy medals will always put a few bob in the till. Lat week was slow but I sold five. I've had to restock  so much this weekend that half the items have no text, just pictures.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/BAGERAP?section_id=18342460

That's really interesting, I never knew they existed, let alone were popular.

Nice 1903 halfpenny, by the way! :)

I have maybe another 40-50 in stock plus the 30 ish in the shop which is about six months stock. So not a route to instant riches but it ticks over.

• Like 1