British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
zookeeperz

1937 Florin / Two Shillings

Hi folks. I have had this interest for as long as I can remember to locate both varieties of 1937 Two shillings Rev A and B. Now I look at nearly all the listings and one thing has become blatantly obvious even if you disregard some dodgy photo angles. it cannot account for the consistency of what I see on the coins. You know when you look for the variety that either points to the tooth or to a gap between. My question when we are told tooth and gap are they strictly that. I know I hear controversial comments when some read from descriptions gap and another says slightly RoT or LoT . So which do we deem the correct description. I am saying this because I see 100's of 1937 florin's That I can see 100% point to a tooth. Yet there are a few that I can say 100% do not  but neither do they point fully to a gap and the one thing that goes with both pointings the true tooth pointing I of IND the cross on the crown is dead center. The off tooth pointing I of IND the cross points slightly LoT. Is this the I points to gap or is it an in betweeny?

The easiest way I found to distinguish between them is to look at the 2nd I in SHILLING.  Rev A is directly to a tooth, Rev B is directly to a gap.  Both reverses exist in proof and currency.

On 22/10/2017 at 11:41 PM, Nick said:

The easiest way I found to distinguish between them is to look at the 2nd I in SHILLING.  Rev A is directly to a tooth, Rev B is directly to a gap.  Both reverses exist in proof and currency.

I made a slight error in the original post it was the  D of IND to gap which is reverse B . Which I am happy to say finally appeared :). It was interesting to read that Michael Gouby out of 100 1937 two shillings He had seen 10 reverse B's but not better than fine /F+

1937Btwoshillingsobverse-horz.jpg

1 hour ago, PWA 1967 said:

Also Nicks indicator second I in shillings.

Hat Off Zoo and get it sold ;)

Yes I forgot that part about the I and @ Nick thanks for the extra ID info :)

Here's my Rev B 1937 florin.  I don't remember it being difficult to find, but maybe I was just lucky.

D2071.jpg

one of my 37 proof florins, think this is I to a gap in shilling ? 

P1010893.jpg

P1010895.jpg

3 hours ago, craigy said:

one of my 37 proof florins, think this is I to a gap in shilling ? 

P1010893.jpg

P1010895.jpg

According to Davies * given for value as in not seen . I looked on Michael Gouby's site and 1B on the proof not listed there either

Looking at cgs Rev A they have done... 20. Rev B... 3 in the proofs :)

Rev A.....10     Rev B 7....in currency.

Edited by PWA 1967

31 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

According to Davies * given for value as in not seen . I looked on Michael Gouby's site and 1B on the proof not listed there either

what is my one lol 

1 hour ago, craigy said:

what is my one lol 

You have a reverse B proof.  Both reverses exist in both proof and currency.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nick said:

where is the info for that nick?

1 hour ago, Nick said:

beautiful designs that era, our modern designs are utter pap lol 

57 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

They are in the David Groom book Silver varieties Zoo.

1 minute ago, PWA 1967 said:

They are in the David Groom book Silver varieties Zoo.

Im looking at it. only mentions the business strike nothing about the proof?

Just now, PWA 1967 said:

Sorry i didnt realise was just looking at the two reverses :)

yes thats the same reverse with 2 ID  markers but only for the business strike :)

14 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

I have all four examples.  There are quite a number of unconfirmed varieties in Davies that are now known to exist.

I've been in touch with Peter Davies on several occasions about some of these and often he has said that he has now confirmed the 'unconfirmed' types if you know what I mean.

47 minutes ago, Nick said:

I have all four examples.  There are quite a number of unconfirmed varieties in Davies that are now known to exist.

Ah yes you have all four but what I meant was there are no references in books to confirm they exist apart from the asterix in Davies that means unconfirmed. So I guess it is the same as many unlisted varieties they are out there it is just the book publishers don't seem to want to recognise them or owners are keeping the info close to their chest :)

It must be time for an updated Davies book...

• Like 1