British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

newheart

Joint Stock Provision Company Token?

I was intrigued enough by this little coin to bid and win it quite cheaply on eBay. It is about the size of a farthing (approx 3/4 diameter) and says "By act of parliament" and "Joint Stock Provision Company". I have looked online but cannot find much out about this. Token? Gaming coin? Anyone got any pointers? Thanks in advance, Pete

ENGLISH BRONZE TOKEN Joint Stock Provision Company By Act of Parliament. 253174256576 a-300.jpg

ENGLISH BRONZE TOKEN Joint Stock Provision Company By Act of Parliament. 253174256576 b-300.jpg

3 hours ago, newheart said:

I was intrigued enough by this little coin to bid and win it quite cheaply on eBay. It is about the size of a farthing (approx 3/4 diameter) and says "By act of parliament" and "Joint Stock Provision Company". I have looked online but cannot find much out about this. Token? Gaming coin? Anyone got any pointers? Thanks in advance, Pete

ENGLISH BRONZE TOKEN Joint Stock Provision Company By Act of Parliament. 253174256576 a-300.jpg

ENGLISH BRONZE TOKEN Joint Stock Provision Company By Act of Parliament. 253174256576 b-300.jpg

I did have a look at this one too thinking it was an unofficial farthing but it isn't. its some kind of token though

• Like 1

I think it is more likely to be struck as a result of the changes in legislation in 1844 or 1856 which allowed companies to be incorporated other than by Royal Charter in the first case, or with limited liability in the second. These were major changes in the legal structures of a typical business, which introduced the concept of limited liability and so led to an expansion of business. To issue a token highlighting the new status of a company would be perfectly normal, and no different to a shop giving out branded advertising. Joint Stock Companies were set up country wide.

Wiki is helpful here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joint_Stock_Companies_Act_1844

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rob said:

I think it is more likely to be struck as a result of the changes in legislation in 1844 or 1856 which allowed companies to be incorporated other than by Royal Charter in the first case, or with limited liability in the second. These were major changes in the legal structures of a typical business, which introduced the concept of limited liability and so led to an expansion of business. To issue a token highlighting the new status of a company would be perfectly normal, and no different to a shop giving out branded advertising. Joint Stock Companies were set up country wide.

Wiki is helpful here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joint_Stock_Companies_Act_1844

The strange thing is that there is no sign of a company name. It is generic as far as I can tell (the edge is blank). So it wouldn't advertise a company very well. But I agree this is a plausible explanation! Thanks for the link Rob, I will take a read.

It was a sea change in legislation. A tenner to set up a company is a real incentive to go into business. It's no different to today when you can set up a company with 2 paid up £1 shares, and a cheque to a business that does all the paperwork for considerably less than £100.

• Like 1