British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  

First ever post on the forum

Anyone remember the first time they ever posted on the forum? 

I joined about 3 days ago and I was soooo exited,  lel,  tell me what you felt like what what you did your first post?

I lurked for a few months and then posted a hello-style thread in the Beginners Area.  It felt good to introduce myself to the regulars here.  

As an aside, I went to university in Cambridge and remember how lovely it is there.

Just went back into my activity to read my first post. It was about removing fingerprints. It was probably a question that had been asked countless times previously but I was given a good reply that lead on to me asking even more repetitive questions.

Thanks for your patience 

I was at King's in the late 60s but I imagine that you're a lot younger.

In the late 60's I was only just being created....

A week or so ago, I introduced myself here after quite a lot(tm) of lurking :)

I have many questions yet to be asked, but at the same time, I also find that the forum search is very helpful (and often sidetracks me into reading for hours on entirely unrelated but also very interesting things).

There is so much knowledge and a huge amount of pictures on here, I think it would be nearly impossible to read everything in my remaining lifetime!

1 minute ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

In the late 60's I was only just being created....

A week or so ago, I introduced myself here after quite a lot(tm) of lurking :)

I have many questions yet to be asked, but at the same time, I also find that the forum search is very helpful (and often sidetracks me into reading for hours on entirely unrelated but also very interesting things).

There is so much knowledge and a huge amount of pictures on here, I think it would be nearly impossible to read everything in my remaining lifetime!

It's easy enough to scan through. You'll remember most of it either word for word or with the general meaning firmly imprinted in your mind. And that which you forget didn't interest you in the first place.

That's why a book is so useful. You flick back and recheck what you thought you read. Can't do that with a fleeting glimpse of a webpage, because when you try to find it, the page is updated or gone awol. A book is structured, a forum thread not, and is why you have to repeatedly post the same thing. The most popular questions asked on this forum have been asked many times and the answers given a similar number of times. Funny how nobody finds those previous threads, but I guess that's the way of digital man.

Commonly asked questions and answers sticky threads in a newb/beginners section normally works quite well, but does involve the overhead of several admin members to maintain and update.

Under-use of the forum search is a man's own worst enemy, second only to forgetfulness.

Edited by Unwilling Numismatist
grammar, -3

2 minutes ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

Under-use of the forum search is a mand own worst enemy, second only to forgetfulness.

For the vast majority, that is simply a function of subject interest. Anyone interested enough in their chosen area can get up to speed within a few years at the most.

Very true, but just when you start to think you know enough, someone else with more knowledge will perhaps direct you to further thought, leading back to the "where can I learn more about this..."

Where better to begin the search for more knowledge, than the place you heard it first.

Nobody knows everything about a subject, so you can always add to your knowledge. That is why a selection of reading material is a must.

Too much is taken for granted as well. Last weekend I was asked what moneyer and mint a coin was from. Being a collector medieval pennies for at least the last 30 years, I had assumed that he would have a copy of North, but no, he didn't. Personally, I couldn't see how he could cope without what is a basic reference, but clearly he can as he knows more about his Edwards than I will ever know.

The key is not necessarily going back to what you have previously visited, but rather to discuss things. It doesn't matter if your views are complete b*****ks as long as you stimulate discussion. That is when things are learnt. It is why the anodyne 'like' button should be banned as it makes people feel they are contributing, when in fact they are saying nothing. Only by taking a contrarian view can you bring out alternative theories - and that is how knowledge makes progress. Play devil's advocate (giving a thumbs down is not enough). Either one person will have to justify their argument (in which case the other may learn something), or the second person has to back up their disagreement with reasoning. It's a win-win situation. That is why all views on a forum are welcomed and valid. They might be shot down, but that shouldn't be taken to heart. Every day I learn something new and I know I am not alone in that.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bagerap said:

I was at King's in the late 60s but I imagine that you're a lot younger.

Emmanuel 87-90 for me.

Hi, 

I live in Cambridge being you have been to university here do you know any other forum members or collectors that live here and where local clubs and coins fairs are 

It would help alot. Before coming on this forum I had no idea about coin clubs or fairs, they sound interesting 

Thanks,