British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Danelaw

Offa Hammered

I know nothing of the period but that doesn't 'look right' to me, has a very cast look about it! Guess they must know what they're talking about! It would be interesting to compare it to the other documented coins to check for any replication. At least I'd want to if I was considering it for myself.

1 hour ago, Danelaw said:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DMgUfRPWAAE7rP3.jpg:large

This is only the third coin from this die. The obverse design was shared by London and Cambridge.

https://twitter.com/ajdaubney/status/921008770540539904

Nice coin. I really like the geometric designs on the Offa coinage! :) 

17 minutes ago, Coinery said:

I know nothing of the period but that doesn't 'look right' to me, has a very cast look about it! Guess they must know what they're talking about! It would be interesting to compare it to the other documented coins to check for any replication. At least I'd want to if I was considering it for myself.

A lot of these come up looking pitted.

I've just noticed it's awaiting validation? How long does the whole process of registering a find take, then? Anyone know?

2 hours ago, Coinery said:

I've just noticed it's awaiting validation? How long does the whole process of registering a find take, then? Anyone know?

It varies from county to county. 3 months - 18 months in some cases depending on the work loads of each museum. 

• Like 1

It can take an age in London. Still waiting for the report on a Roman ring from the Thames. Last year 

They are swamped with finds and you're limited to ten finds a visit.

• Like 1