British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Descartes

My dream hammered coin! <3

Just wanted to share with you chaps my dream hammered coin... currently for sale at sovereign rarities.

A rather fantastic King Stephen flag type penny. Alas, it will never be mine to enjoy - selling at a whopping 7,500 GBP it's a little over my budget :( 

Stephen Flag Type Penny 7,500.jpg

• Like 4

So far I don't have any of these types of coin but I can definitely see the appeal.

The history and sense that they are hundreds of years old and still with us is fascinating. 

• Like 1

never say never ....sometimes the burgain is behind the corner. 

anyway this is my dream english hammered coin : the famous Henry III gold penny... I gave a lecture on it

gold-penny.gif

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Matteo95 said:

never say never ....sometimes the burgain is behind the corner. 

anyway this is my dream english hammered coin : the famous Henry III gold penny... I gave a lecture on it

gold-penny.gif

Hi Matteo, that certainly is a wonderful coin! :) 

Mine was a Pax penny of William Ist or 2nd. It was one of the first coins i ever saw in books that got me interested in hammereds as a kid. So i bought one...

2017-10-19-23-04-43.jpg

• Like 3

Gosh it really is time for me to start buying some hammered plantagenet gold! Maybe some sovs too! Soon! Soon!

• Like 1

Can't differentiate between a really nice example of this or a really nice example of that. A coin that stands high and proud by a wide margin above all the other coins in a collection looks out of place. A collection needs a bit of balance to be aesthetically pleasing.

10 hours ago, Coinery said:

Gosh it really is time for me to start buying some hammered plantagenet gold! Maybe some sovs too! Soon! Soon!

I would like a sovereign in my collection too. Might just have to treat myself to one at Christmas :D 

11 minutes ago, Descartes said:

I would like a sovereign in my collection too. Might just have to treat myself to one at Christmas :D 

A Henry VII mm. dragon, is an unaffordable Hobson's Choice coin for me. :( Ah well, hope springs eternal. Better buy a couple of losing lines for tonight's lottery.

9 hours ago, Rob said:

A Henry VII mm. dragon, is an unaffordable Hobson's Choice coin for me. :( Ah well, hope springs eternal. Better buy a couple of losing lines for tonight's lottery.

I know the feeling, Rob. My Christmas coin will only be a standard Victoria jubilee sovereign. It will be quite special to me as it'll be my first gold coin and will go some way to completing my year type set. Will still need the pricey double sovereign, half sovereign and the five pound gold coin of course, but if everything was instantly obtainable, I guess I wouldn't find it as fun to collect! :) 

my dream coin .doesn't need to be that one though . Image result for sword dollar

Edited by mick1271
  • Like 2