British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Peter_I'm_a_Guest

gold and silver prices

Guest Peter_I'm_a_Guest

I was just looking at a London Market Statistics site & was surprised to see how cheap silver is compared to gold. The gold price was £221 per troy ounce and silver was £3.21 per troy ounce! I had always imagined that silver was more valuable than that. BTW I recently found an old coin mag from about 1971 and they were asking £6 each for sovereigns! If only they were that cheap now!

If only they where that cheap today, I would have the whole collection, 1 of each that ever where made! :D

I recently found an old coin mag from about 1971 and they were asking £6 each for sovereigns! If only they were that cheap now!

That is probably why you sometimes see people on Ebay selling 10 sovereigns from a single year...lucky them!

Guest Peter_I'm_a_Guest

I suppose that £6 was quite a lot then however! I didn't start work 'till 1976 & I think that my first weekly wage was £18. When I was a lad in the sixties I got 3 old pence a week pocket money - what's that - about 1.5 new pence! that bought quite a few sweeties in those days :P

In 1973 my Dad bought his 1st ever Brand new car....a Hillman Avenger 1.5 super de lux (didn't even have carpets though....only the top of the range had that).

It was £1075 !!!!!

Today a similar car...maybe a focus?? is 12k ie approx 12x 1973 prices.

I've also got some pricing books from the late 60's early 70's and coins comparitivly were not cheap.

Especially 20 century "Key dates" the whole nation was "Checking their change"

I think there are great bargains today. :D