British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

newheart

Edward Silver Penny

I don't think it is pewter, though if it goes grey in a few years I will stand corrected. It feels and sounds metallic. Yes I agree about the legend, though I did read that the legends on the continental copies could be nonsense, given that most people would not be able to read them. 

Are the edges on hammered coins usually smooth? This one is slightly rough, with a lip as if it has been stamped out of a larger piece of metal. 

Also, if it is a modern copy I don't understand how the features seem so worn. For example, the 'rope' type beading around the kings head is smooth and levelled off. See photo. Could this be a bad pressing, or intentional deception?

One other feature of this coin (and please remember I have been collecting coins for just a few weeks!) is that the coin is domed, it wobbles on a flat surface with a high spot in the centre of the coin.

I am not too bothered if this is a modern copy, it was cheap and I think it will stay in my collection due to the intrigue and hours spent researching this era!

Image1.jpg

Something to consider when thinking that something is worn is that sometimes (often/mostly) the metal doesn't always fill the design on the dies, leaving details that can sometimes look worn, when you could in fact be looking at an as-struck hammered coin. 

• Like 1

Thanks Coinery, that makes sense.

Update: I emailed  Dave at www.grunal.com asking is this was one of his coins and he sent a very helpful and informative reply. He has given me permission to repeat what he said here. 

"Hi, yes for that one for a re-enactment group about 12 years ago. My coins are all identified by the mintname TANVATS or moneyers name GRVNAL. Commissions for Reenactment societies are usually customised with the groups name in place of the mint signature. For example a die set produced for the Woodville Household has the reverse legend VILLA WOODVILLE.

It is very important for new collectors to invest in numerous books on coins such as Spinks Coinage of England, JJ North English Hammered Coinage and the Galata Guides all of which give the readings for the official mints. Any thing not to be found in these books should be regarded as suspect".

I then asked what the reverse text said and he replied: "The Reverse reads COMP. OF CHIVALRY (re-enactment group) probably struck in pewter feel free to forward my responses". Which was good to know since trying to decipher it had been driving me nuts!

A really nice guy who went out of his way to answer my questions and even offered advice on resources that would be helpful when identifying hammered coins, including info on  Galata guides and BNJ and Spinks Numismatic Circular journals etc.

I hope this information might help others.
  • Like 1

Brilliant! Great work following this through! Dave's extremely passionate about coins, a great contact! ?

• Like 1

Just joined the group.

Hi My facebook page GRUNAL MONETA has a series of high resolution images of every sub-class of Edward I and II along with identification notes and extreme close ups of letters crowns etc  https://www.facebook.com/Grunal-Moneta-654941368041899/photos/?ref=page_internal they are all found in the Albums section to get the full unfo just click on the photo

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, davetmoneyer said:

Just joined the group.

Hi My facebook page GRUNAL MONETA has a series of high resolution images of every sub-class of Edward I and II along with identification notes and extreme close ups of letters crowns etc  https://www.facebook.com/Grunal-Moneta-654941368041899/photos/?ref=page_internal they are all found in the Albums section to get the full unfo just click on the photo

Hi Dave, welcome to the Group, thanks for the help and for this link. All the best, Pete

28 minutes ago, davetmoneyer said:

Just joined the group.

Welcome Dave. Awesome images ! Excellent work. 

8 hours ago, davetmoneyer said:

Just joined the group.

Hi Dave, welcome to the forum. Really enjoyed looking through your facebook page this evening :) great photos! I'd love to watch you hammering away in your workshop some day!