British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Liam

1853 Halfpenny

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been discussed before but I'm just wondering, how can you tell the difference between a normal and proof 1853 halfpenny? Looking at images online hasn't made it any clearer (maybe my computer screen/ glasses just need a wipe!). I've attached an image of my example (still not quite got this photography lark) if somebody could tell me whether it's a normal one or not please! 

1853 halfpenny.jpg

Looks normal to me. A nice one though. :)

Agreed looks like a normal CHP1853.

I think without exception the Obv die used for the Proofs, O in VICTORIA is doubled and gives the impression of two vertical lines on the side of O, with an open gap at the bottom, and the 8 in the date is doubled to the left giving the impression of 'hooks' on the left side of both top and bottom loops, the image is not as clear as I would like, shows the features described

S6000516.jpg

You can count the number of proofs on one hand or so. Not the best picture, but this is the ex-Norweb coin. In the hand, proofs and currency are like chalk and cheese.

img072.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies! I did imagine imagine it would just be a normal one but having never seen a proof in hand I thought I best make sure!