British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
PWA 1967

1937 Penny

I know this has been touched on before but have tried to take it a bit further.

1937 2+B Proof Unrecorded.

About two years ago i took a penny i had bought off ebay to Colin Cooke coins , as Neil was on the phone i showed it to another dealer who was there.

I only mention this as that was when i could not understand why some fantastic collections did not have one.

When he had i look he told me it was a laquered normal penny explained why and i threw it in the bin.The dealer when i explained what i thought it was told me not to look as there was no such thing and maybe i was wasting my time.I didnt question him and he shall remain nameless as maybe at the time he was right and other people dont look.I casually looked at the ones on ebay but didnt really hold out much hope untill finding another.After Sharing pictures with a couple of forum members and seeing it in hand , again it started to make me think and just put it away.Just after Neil Paisley was round at the flat and i passed it him asking what it was he then confirmed it was a proof 100%.I then needed  for my own piece of mind to try and find find another.John Stevenson had one that he believed was right as he had taken it from a set and i purchased that also.

As they are unrecorded the next step was for them to be confirmed as proofs not really for the grade but more the proof label.I sent them both to PCGS and both came back PR65.

UIN 34013361 & 3403362 

During the course of looking i have also seen PCGS 82203674 & NGC 2720722-095PR64.

I have also months ago contacted the Royal Mint although i have had a couple of replies there verdict is pending.......:unsure:

Not a clue how many there are as feel most still in sets and dont think people bother as really a MICRO variety and dealers only occasionally will look at the reverse.

Reverse B has the sea line at the top of a tooth and an easy indicator.

Sorry if its a Boring thread but anybody who has a set or 1937 Proof Penny please take a quick look.

Pete.

• Like 3

Trouble is Pete a 1937 1d could never float my boat in any shape or form but you penny boys are a breed apart.Good on you.

6 minutes ago, Peter said:

Trouble is Pete a 1937 1d could never float my boat in any shape or form but you penny boys are a breed apart.Good on you.

Yes nothing exciting Peter thats why i said it was a boring thread :D

Although i have never seen one described as Proof in any collection apart from the Robert Gray -Thompson one DNW 10th DEC 2009

Sure there are plenty others for us Penny lunatics :)

Edited by PWA 1967

Not a boring thread Pete and opens good discussion.

33 minutes ago, IanB said:

Hi Pete,

I bought Matt's 1937 2+B but no idea if it is a proof. The picture is still on his website if you want to have a look https://mypennycollection.wordpress.com/category/george-vi/

Ian

Rather nice....stored in a virgins silk knickers?

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Rather nice....stored in a virgins silk knickers?

I was rather hoping Matt had stored them in Quadrums or at the very least cardboard flip. You have put me right of my mid afternoon custard creams:o

6 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Although i have never seen one described as Proof in any collection apart from the Robert Gray -Thompson one DNW 10th DEC 2009

Do you what lot number this was Pete ?

23 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Do you what lot number this was Pete ?

Lot 113 

12 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Sadly there's no photo in their archive.

Sorry Richard yes and thats why i mentioned described in the post above.

As already discussed with Pete, the coin in the collection was taken from a complete and original 1937 proof set. It was clearly a proof. Dad already knew that it was unrecorded but checked every 1937 set we encountered in salerooms (a lot I may tell you). If you handle enough coins you know a proof as soon as you see one. Why some dealers and auction houses refuse to accept the totally bleedin obvious is beyond me, but fail they do!

I have a 1937 proof set with a 2+B penny.  I bought the set because it had the 1+B variety of florin, but am now doubly pleased.

• Like 2

That might offer a clue if someone is looking for these varieties

• Like 1

I've mention a couple of time over the last few years that I had one but know one took any notice.:(

Edited by Gary D

7 minutes ago, Gary D said:

I've mention a couple of time over the last few years that I had but know one took any notice.:(

Nobody took any notice of me Gary untill i had them slabbed and was the only real reason for doing it.

It was also why i sent two.

If you look at pictures they are not always convincing.

Edited by PWA 1967

2+B or not 2+B, that is the question?

Could I have a comment or two as to whether this is a 1937 2+B or not. Its doing my head in trying to decide if the P in IMP points to the left or the right or even straight onto a tooth.

Sorry about the quality of the photos, I am using my phone at the moment.

Thank you

kRZe4Yfd.jpeg

Edited by IanB

I have sent  you my opinion Ian ;)......So will let someone else confirm.

Maybe you can post the pictures i also sent you as they are quite clear :)

Edited by PWA 1967

Its reverse B sea line is above the tooth on reverse A it intersects the tooth :)

Well this is Rev B

1937pennyobv-horz.jpg

Edited by zookeeperz

7 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

Its reverse B sea line is above the tooth on reverse A it intersects the tooth :)

Yes but is it OBV 1 or OBV 2 :)

Just now, PWA 1967 said:

Yes but is it OBV 1 or OBV 2 :)

lols just woke up let me shake the sawdust out normal service will resume  :)

By the look of the colons it appears to be Obv A I give up looking at pictures they lie lol. No idea now from your blow up its obverse 1 and 2 but the thinner P if it is lol edges me towards obverse 2:o:rolleyes:. Changed my mind again there is no way the the P can be right of the tooth so it must be Obverse 1 and that is my final vote from the swedish jury :)

Edited by zookeeperz