British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
mrbadexample

LCA nonsense

1856 rigsbankskilling currently being advertised by LCA for their December auction, with a suggested valuation of $700.

If it were a Copenhagen mint mark (crown) then this might be the case. However, this has the Altona mint mark (orb), and is worth comfortably less than $50 IMO. I paid £1.57 for mine.

It'll be interesting to see if this is corrected prior to the auction, and what it actually sells for.

LCA nonsense.JPG

Anybody who collects these will probably point it out, or just ignore it. I have no concept of the demand for them, but suggest it wouldn't be that high from the UK.

Krause listing values are a bit hit and miss in any case as they generally reflect past sales of coins in particular grades leading to inconsistencies whereby the lower grade coin is valued higher than the mint state version. There is a thread on the PCGS forum highlighting this anomaly.

Regardless of the Krause valuations being a bit hit and miss, this seems a pretty obvious thing to get wrong, and a little embarrassing to be shown off as an auction highlight.

I haven't seen the auction advert yet.

Also not sure why the 1874B rappen description is accompanied by a 1905 1/2Fr image.

Nor me. :lol: