British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

ShaggyBFC

What coins would have been buried

I really hope you dont dig up that jar of pubes hidden by mr christie .

Hi All, Happy New Year.

A quick update on this topic.  I have today written a letter to the house owner, trying not to sound like a lunatic and to explain the story - giving just enough detail, (not to give away what and where), to hopefully generate enough interest for them to contact me.  I'll wait to see if they do.  If they do, I'll send photos of what is in the ground.

• Like 3

Well, over 2 weeks since I posted my letter to the house owner,,,, and today I get a call back. I guess curiosity finally got the best of him. After a brief conversation on the phone, he's agreed for me to go and discuss it further with him.... and he's agreed to share any find. Unfortunately I'm metal detecting on Cleethorpes beach this weekend, so I'll have to wait until next week.... I'm so excited about this.  

I'll keep everyone posted and will put photos up when the dig starts 😊

• Like 2

Another quick update:

been to the house and checked out the lawn.  I identified the 'hollow' where I expected the coins / seals to be, then scanned the area with my metal detector.  The wold lawn returned some cracking signals, so where to start.... The owner allowed me to dig a few test pits... but unfortunately, these did not bring up any coins... just other junk my father must have buried over the years... brass bed knob, lump of lead, large copper pipe and a large mangled aluminium plate.... so no luck this time.

Good news is, the couple are now hooked on the story as week and are keen to explore further - maybe a further survey, and maybe with Geophys... watch this space

Andi

• Like 3

getting more interesting by the day

• Like 1

I agree all we need is   Mr green  in the kitchen wiith the lead pipeing and it might even be true  LOL

Cluedo

I left couple  of Roman sestertius on top of soil and shallow grass in my back garden to help patinate them back in early October. Went to check this morning and I could not find them. I know there has been some storm and rain these past few months. The soil has slightly more grass now but I notice there has been build up of soil about were I think the coins are . My garden is not accessible and I was the only person who goes there. How did the coin disappeared? Could it be submerged, carried by rain water or encased in soil. Have no idea. I just ordered a hand held metal detector.

Edited by Taikonaut

40 minutes ago, Taikonaut said:

My garden is not accessible and I was the only person who goes there. 

If they were shiny they might have been taken by a magpie. If they have sunk then taking a scoop of soil from where they were should unearth them?

I reckon a squirrel buried them for future recovery. They'll take anything that's about the right size for a nut and hide it nearby.

Magpies is worrying as I've seen them quite often. The coins werent shiney, one was almost patinated but I wanted it darker still, the other is dull light patina forming, they were quite dirty with soil the last time I saw them. 

19 minutes ago, Rob said:

I reckon a squirrel buried them for future recovery. They'll take anything that's about the right size for a nut and hide it nearby.

I'm not convinced. It's a pretty poor survival strategy, to bury random nut-sized objects for the lean times:

Squirrel: "I'm starving, think I'll pop and get those things I buried last autumn."

"Bollocks, another sestertius. Could have sworn it was a hazelnut." :(

I think a squirrel would know the difference between a piece of metal and food. :)

Edited by mrbadexample
  • Haha 1

Another theory is earth worms burrowing and moving the coin elsewhere. I notice earth worms and increase soil in the area that looks like worms has been habituating. Obviousely disappointed the coins arent found but its a different sort of excitement trying to find it. 

I suspect the metal detector will answer your questions. Not convinced by the magpie theory- they collect shiny objects to decorate the nest to attract a mate, and its the wrong time of year for that. Unless you’re my wife, who seems to do it all year round, and especially at Christmas .......perhaps I should take the hint?

Jerry

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Taikonaut said:

Another theory is earth worms burrowing and moving the coin elsewhere. I notice earth worms and increase soil in the area that looks like worms has been habituating. Obviousely disappointed the coins arent found but its a different sort of excitement trying to find it. 

"Hi Susie Worm"

"Hi John Worm. What's new?"

"Nothing. But something not new.. I found another Roman sestertius the other day. My collection is really coming along"

"So that's 2 sestertii, 3 belt buckles, 1 Spice Girls fan club badge, 6p, 3 discarded face masks, an empty Special Brew bottle, and a used syringe, right?"

"Yeah. Gonna sell the lot at Baldworms when the time's right"

• Haha 1

You should of left them in your bathroom on top of the shower unit if you have one. The humidity would do the same job over time.