British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
partridge

Storage of sixpences in lighthouse capsules

Hi all! I am new to the forum and also quite new to coin collecting. I've recently acquired some high grade Edward VII sixpences (1902 and 1906) and I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the best way of storing these coins so as to not do any damage to them. I bought some hard Lighthouse coin capsules with 19.5mm diameter. These seem pretty good as they're close to airtight and obviously the hard case protects the coins too. However, the problem I have is that the cases are too deep for the coins - probably something like 3-4x the thickness of the sixpence. Therefore, if I turn the case over to look at the other side of my coins they move within the case and hit the case wall. I can slowly the turn the case over so the impact is not too hard, but all the same I am a bit worried that this could damage the coins in some way. So I'm wondering if maybe I should investigate something other than Lighthouse capsules for these coins.

How do you keep your sixpence (and other!) coins that are high grade?

Maybe try a quadrum coin capsule they have a foam insert which will help grip the coin.

They are only about £1 and think the sixpence is 19mm ,maybe buy one and if its suitable you can get them cheaper if you want a box of ten.

Just enter quadrum capsule on ebay to see the pictures and prices.

Someone on here may have another option .

Welcome to the forum :)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Maybe try a quadrum coin capsule they have a foam insert which will help grip the coin.

They are only about £1 and think the sixpence is 19mm ,maybe buy one and if its suitable you can get them cheaper if you want a box of ten.

Just enter quadrum capsule on ebay to see the pictures and prices.

Someone on here may have another option .

Welcome to the forum :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Selecting-the-Correct-Size-Standard-Lighthouse-Coin-Capsule-/10000000178714172/g.html

This is generally a good guide regarding which quadrum to go for.

Might be tricky Paul they dont do the quadrum in -5 sizes :D

Maybe the foam is slightly giving and will hold it firm at 19mm although i dont have one to try.

Why i was typing i decided to have a look and Andy Jack says 19mm for a sixpence.

Spending this time looking and maybe partridge doesnt like them ;)

had troublw with the lighthouse, slabs and quadrums holding the coin nicely at them sizes, ended up putting them in the capsules with the foam rings 

Thanks everyone for the comments so far! I like the look of the quadrums, I think it's definitely worth trying one, thanks PWA! Based on craigy's comment it seems like this could be the solution I need.

Andy Jack is actually where I bought my capsules and I found the 19mm hard capsules too small for sixpences, which is how I ended up with 19.5mm. But I haven't tried the foam ones, which might have a bit more give, making 19mm the best option.  

6 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Might be tricky Paul they dont do the quadrum in -5 sizes :D

Maybe the foam is slightly giving and will hold it firm at 19mm although i dont have one to try.

Why i was typing i decided to have a look and Andy Jack says 19mm for a sixpence.

Spending this time looking and maybe partridge doesnt like them ;)

The foam has some give in it so if you are 0.5mm out the coin will, fit just very snugly.

The quadrum foam ring is slightly overdimensioned to ensure it grips the coin, i.e. in the 19mm capsule the foam opening is about 18.5mm wide.

I have one or two sixpences .... actually over 400. The ones which are not slabbed are kept in Lighthouse coin trays. 

Thanks all for your comments. I am going to get a quadrum case and a round foam-ringed case and see which works best. I'll also look into the coin trays if my collection grows! Although I doubt I'll ever reach 400!

I received my Quadrum Intercept cases today and I'm very happy with the way they hold my sixpences. The fit is quite tight and I found it a little bit fiddly getting the coin in without touching the face. I ended up fitting them in mostly with my hands holding the rim and then making minor adjustments with a clean cotton bud to press on the edge of the coin faces to get everything neatly installed. Now that they're in, the coins are held very securely so it's safe to pick up the cases and admire my coins. Thanks to everyone in this thread for their advice!

• Like 2

Hi all.

I'm sorry to bump an older topic. I'm new to this forum & have been collecting coins for just over a month. I've been collecting Elizabeth II & George VI Pre-decimal coins.

I originally bought a binder for my collection but don't like the way the coins rotate in the plastic sleeves. I've just tried some 31mm rimless capsules for the One Penny coins. I'm not keen on these either as the capsule is too thick for the coin & it moves about too much. I've been reading on here about the Lighthouse Quadrum.

Would you recommend these for my Decimal & Pre-Decimal collection instead of the capsules? I also like the look of the Intercept Q100 Box to store them all in or is an intercept box not needed? I would be opening the box regularly to add new coins or just to look at my collection.

Am i able to find the correct size Quadrums for all my collection? What about the older 50 Pence & 20 Pence coins?

Thank you

Darren

Edited by Gyro1780
small spelling correction.

Lighthouse products are - or were - sold here by the site owner Chris Perkins, so yes, I'd say they can be recommended. I'm not able to advise on sizes or boxes.

21 hours ago, Gyro1780 said:

Hi all.

I'm sorry to bump an older topic. I'm new to this forum & have been collecting coins for just over a month. I've been collecting Elizabeth II & George VI Pre-decimal coins.

I originally bought a binder for my collection but don't like the way the coins rotate in the plastic sleeves. I've just tried some 31mm rimless capsules for the One Penny coins. I'm not keen on these either as the capsule is too thick for the coin & it moves about too much. I've been reading on here about the Lighthouse Quadrum.

Would you recommend these for my Decimal & Pre-Decimal collection instead of the capsules? I also like the look of the Intercept Q100 Box to store them all in or is an intercept box not needed? I would be opening the box regularly to add new coins or just to look at my collection.

Am i able to find the correct size Quadrums for all my collection? What about the older 50 Pence & 20 Pence coins?

Thank you

Darren

The quadrum foam can stretch quite a bit and so can be used with older 50 pence and 20 pence coins with no problems.

20p has 21.40 mm diameter. Therefore use 21mm quadrum will ensure no movement.

Older 50p has 30.0mm and so can use 30mm quadrum.

Generally round down to the nearest mm to ensure no movement. For example I use 38mm quadrums for 38.6mm crowns. But 0.6mm stretch is more or less the limit. And yes, you should be able to use quadrums for virtually all British coins. 

Some sort of box is a good idea to store the quadrums. Intercept Q100 is an option. If you prefer to store your quadrums flat, then aluminium or wooden cases are available. 

https://www.coingallery.co.uk/s6-cargo-coin-case-with-6-quadrum-trays-3527-p.asp

On 4/30/2019 at 8:26 PM, Sword said:

The quadrum foam can stretch quite a bit and so can be used with older 50 pence and 20 pence coins with no problems.

20p has 21.40 mm diameter. Therefore use 21mm quadrum will ensure no movement.

Older 50p has 30.0mm and so can use 30mm quadrum.

Generally round down to the nearest mm to ensure no movement. For example I use 38mm quadrums for 38.6mm crowns. But 0.6mm stretch is more or less the limit. And yes, you should be able to use quadrums for virtually all British coins. 

Some sort of box is a good idea to store the quadrums. Intercept Q100 is an option. If you prefer to store your quadrums flat, then aluminium or wooden cases are available. 

https://www.coingallery.co.uk/s6-cargo-coin-case-with-6-quadrum-trays-3527-p.asp

Thank you for the replies.

I bought some 31mm Quadrums. Very happy with my purchase. My Pennies fit nicely & look good with the black foam insert. Will definitely order more in the other sizes i need.

Will try the 30mm for my 50 Pences. I have two in 31mm Quadrums at the moment but there is a tiny amount of movement.

Cheers

Darren