British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Keep this thread open so that they can all be listed in one place as a reference. Lots common coins being reproduced is a future headache. Actually, we will need to copy and paste the image otherwise it will be lost 3 months down the line.

1 hour ago, Rob said:

Keep this thread open so that they can all be listed in one place as a reference. Lots common coins being reproduced is a future headache. Actually, we will need to copy and paste the image otherwise it will be lost 3 months down the line.

Good idea. eBay's worst offerings occasionally runs off topic. If we use this thread to specifically show copies / replicas it's less likely to get lost in amongst other things. 

If we keep it open, can we rename it more appropriately - "repos" is pretty meaningless.

25 minutes ago, secret santa said:

If we keep it open, can we rename it more appropriately - "repos" is pretty meaningless.

cant seem to edit the titles, amazed how many there are and that was one quick sweep of ebay in about 2 mins

Yes you cant change the title ,need to start a new thread.

The way they make a coin look worn and toned (1860 halfpenny) is good and if done on more common dates were people dont look the same will definately fool people.

Although the 1860 halfpenny has differences such as the milled edge :) they are well done as was looking at one in hand yesterday. 

Edited by PWA 1967
  • Like 1

Looking at these repro pennies, it is absolutely obvious they are fake, just in one glance. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Looking at these repro pennies, it is absolutely obvious they are fake, just in one glance. 

wish i could say the same,   little works of art, you have to know what your looking at, gone are the days when you could trust something you was buying, 

Gosh! I have to say ... some of them do look quite convincing :( it must be terribly frustrating realising you've bought a fake/replica when you've spent a lot of money on it. There's definitely something to be said about reading up in your area of collecting before throwing big money into the rarer types and dates.  

35 minutes ago, craigy said:

wish i could say the same,   little works of art, you have to know what your looking at, gone are the days when you could trust something you was buying, 

Call it a type of instinct. I'm now so used to looking at bun pennies that I can detect the slightest difference between normal and fake. Just hits me in the eye immediately. I'd strongly guess that other penny collectors would be the same.

I'd easily be taken in by other denominations, which I've little or no experience in. 

11 minutes ago, Descartes said:

Gosh! I have to say ... some of them do look quite convincing :( it must be terribly frustrating realising you've bought a fake/replica when you've spent a lot of money on it. There's definitely something to be said about reading up in your area of collecting before throwing big money into the rarer types and dates.  

...and probably many of those taken in, won't actually realise for years, sometimes decades..  

19 minutes ago, craigy said:

Interesting. It is closely modelled on the 2E die pair, but isn't quite right. I wonder how they get it so close with some of the finer detail replicated, but then again so wrong with something that is more obvious. If the portrait was that good, they would easily have the hair detail down to a fine art.

Edited by Rob

The ones I find hard to call are the Wreath Crowns. They look exactly the same as normal ones tome. I couldn't with confidence buy one without it being in a slab. Just because it would be a whim purchase and an area I have never entered in to

1 hour ago, Rob said:

Interesting. It is closely modelled on the 2E die pair, but isn't quite right. I wonder how they get it so close with some of the finer detail replicated, but then again so wrong with something that is more obvious. If the portrait was that good, they would easily have the hair detail down to a fine art.

They just need to lob off two-thirds of the legend, THEN it would look authentic! :D

Most of the 2E images I have are quite well centred with a full ring of border teeth. What I was thinking of is things like the B of EBOR has the small protrusion above the top of the B from underlying detail, but then the letter positioning relative to the border teeth is all wrong, or the king's crown is too high relative to the inner circle. The stippling on the saddle cloth is non-existent in the copy, yet the reverse dots in the crown and garnishing are perfectly reproduced for both number and position. Compare with the attached.

2E-JH - Copy.jpg