British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Descartes

Edward II penny?

Hi guys,

I wanted to ask your advice about a coin I'm interested in. It's been incredibly difficult trying to find an Edward II penny in a good grade (well, one that's ascetically pleasing to me anyway). Finally found a good one on ebay for sale, but the face seems a bit odd. I've had a good thumb through my Galata guide to the pennies of Edward I & II, but none of the faces match, especially the faces for class 12 types (which is what the coin is listed as). Does this coin look OK for a typical Edward II penny? I'd like to place a bid but wanted to check first as it look a bit unusual!

D. 

Edward II 12a observe.jpg

Edited by Descartes
typo

It's class 11 and looks fine to me! I'm watching some of the other coins this seller is listing. Unusual to see a number of better grade coins for sale at the same time! 

• Like 1

Class 11b, as per Mr P's BsE coin recently posted, except his is the slightly shorter face, hence 11b1

if you've got the Galata guide the picture in the centre of page 39, "11b large face, rounded chin" is the one! ?

IMG_3621.JPG

IMG_3620.JPG

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Coinery said:

It's class 11 and looks fine to me! I'm watching some of the other coins this seller is listing. Unusual to see a number of better grade coins for sale at the same time! 

I saw those as they popped up on Sunday.  Museum quality some of them. That's a fine collection he's got there. I was in awe of that HII Fil Aimer. Puts my one to shame. 

Edited by Ukstu
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Coinery said:

Class 11b, as per Mr P's BsE coin recently posted, except his is the slightly shorter face, hence 11b1

if you've got the Galata guide the picture in the centre of page 39, "11b large face, rounded chin" is the one! ?

IMG_3621.JPG

IMG_3620.JPG

Thanks for the info, Stu. I'm still getting to grips with my classifications, but I'm really enjoying my research into the world of hammered coins. The problem with the Galata guide is that the specimens in the book are so beautiful and in such excellent condition, that I want my Edward I collection to be as good... and it's proving difficult to find such high quality coins in all the classes. It will probably take me a life time! I'm focusing on the three Edwards, and trying to get one penny from each reign at the moment, and go from there, once I'm more confident with all the long cross & short cross pennies.

With regards to literature and getting to grips with the Edward III pennies, I now have the three Christopher Wren books on order for my birthday and Christmas :) which will certainly entertain me for hours and hours during the winter months. I'd also eventually like to get my hands on the JJ North books, and Lord Stewartby's 'English Coins,' so I can confidently branch out now I'm totally addicted to collecting the hammered pennies.

Great. Saxon next :)

William II, Henry I and the anarchy is a bit of a bugger for nice ones though :(

Edited by Rob

26 minutes ago, Rob said:

Great. Saxon next :)

William II, Henry I and the anarchy is a bit of a bugger for nice ones though :(

Hi Rob,

Interestingly, I just bought my first Saxon coin yesterday! :) It was an impulse buy as I've always wanted a coin from the mint of my local town, Wilton. It's an Aethelred II long cross penny (moneyer: Saewine on Wilton). It's more than I usually feel comfortable spending on a coin, but I have it now, and I'm very pleased. Other than a few peck marks on the reverse, and traces of a bend, it's OK. I've attached a photo of both sides. I love how they were still using Anglo Saxon lettering on the legends with letters like  þ for 'w' and and a D for 'th'

Aethelred II Longcross Penny, Saewine on Wilton, S.1151, observe.png

Aethelred II Longcross Penny, Saewine on Wilton, S.1151, reverse.png

• Like 2

Always a good feeling to get a coin from where you were born or where you live.

• Like 2