British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
argentumandcoins

1846 sixpence. 6/0?

Another low grade coin with recuts visible on 846. The 8 and 4 as expected but the 6? Looks like it's over a 0 to me but it could just be the remnants of last nights malt causing confuddlement.......

IMG_2221_zpsgr6z67kg.jpg

Or an inverted or sideways 6? The curve looks to be the same in parts.

• Like 1

It's another strange one. The original 4 was clearly very high.

It could be a 0, but looks a bit round for 0, or weren't they elongated? Sorry, don't have one to compare.

I wouldn't worry about the alignment, as the last two were entered separately.

1 hour ago, Rob said:

It could be a 0, but looks a bit round for 0, or weren't they elongated? Sorry, don't have one to compare.

I wouldn't worry about the alignment, as the last two were entered separately.

Yes the 0 is more elongated having checked against another. Either a sideways/inverted 6 or a trick of the eye!

Re the last 2 my thought was that the chap responsible was clearly having a bad day so could well have made a hash of the 6.

3 hours ago, argentumandcoins said:

It's another strange one. The original 4 was clearly very high.

That was going to be my comment, which means a high 4 is presumeably out there on another year? Whatever the finding, it'll be a very wide and stand-out last digit we'll be looking for on another die! Love coins and single malt, a very pleasing combination, even though I say so myself! So glad you're back, John! ?

I compared this to my own 1846 sixpences (I have two). I don't think the 4 is any higher on the example above than it is on mine.

27 minutes ago, jaggy said:

I compared this to my own 1846 sixpences (I have two). I don't think the 4 is any higher on the example above than it is on mine.

The underlying 4 is higher than the recut and higher than the other example I have.

The left hand point of the underlying 4 on John's coins points nearly halfway up the top loop of the 8 though?

Reverse 4? sideways 8? the fourpence has one so not a long stretch to there being one on a shilling?

Any deviation from the required character is an error. As we can assume the error was not intentionally made, by extension it follows that the underlying character could quite literally be any of the punches at the engraver's immediate disposal. Although there must be a greater likelihood of the correct character being used but entered incorrectly, it does not follow that it is a given.