British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Ukstu

Short cross classification help

Picked this up today as an unknown class of John. Got me slightly puzzled at what class it is. The reverse reads Iohan.on.norv which would correspond with class 5c the last class struck at Norwich before its closure in 1207. 

The obverse looks like a 5b though. Would i be right in assuming this is a mule?  

JointPics_20170929_120643.JPG

Edited by Ukstu

Possibly, but not certain. The obverse is definitely 5b and though NORV is ok for 5c, is there a die match for a true 5c? A 5b reading NORV would muddy the water.

Edited by Rob
  • Like 1

Thanks Rob. Its an oddity. I'll mark it as a 5b/5c and make further enquiries. Just realised also i misread NORV its NORY. 

19 minutes ago, Ukstu said:

Thanks Rob. Its an oddity. I'll mark it as a 5b/5c and make further enquiries. Just realised also i misread NORV its NORY. 

Although double struck, the reverse die appears to be the same as Mass 1723 & 1724 which would be a 5c. Although the portrait is a decent match for a 5c, the initial h isn't, so I would go for 5b/c. As with many things, it is a somewhat blurred boundary.

We were both correct Rob. I mailed it to Gerry Slevin just before. He's confirmed it as a 5b3/5c mule. I missed the pellet in the S which ties it down to 5b3 on the obverse. 

He's going to feature it in his next edition of Short Cross Legends. 

Cool, and good work! What's short cross legends? You've got me intrigued! ?

6 minutes ago, Coinery said:

Cool, and good work! What's short cross legends? You've got me intrigued! ?

Thanks. It's a fairly recent book on the short cross series. Think it's on Amazon. Pretty good book for identifying them and classifying them. 

1 hour ago, Ukstu said:

Thanks. It's a fairly recent book on the short cross series. Think it's on Amazon. Pretty good book for identifying them and classifying them. 

Many thanks, Stu, what year was it published, will look it up. ?

Anyone else looked at it?

I think it was 2014/15. Google it. Everbody seems to be raving about it. I like it. 

He's a good guy. Fairly approachable and happy to help out if you need advice also. 

• Like 1