British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
newheart

Unknown 1554 Coin/Token with hedgehog

Bought this for a couple of quid out of pure curiosity. I think it is copper, it is quite thin (1mm or less), date looks like 1554. Diameter about 27mm. Obverse side has a king(?) and reverse has a hedgehog (or similar animal) against a landscape with vegetation and possible clouds. Only legible writing says PARTE TIMENDA" on reverse. Can read "REX" on obverse. I have taken the best pictures that I can. Can anyone help me identify this? Thanks in advance, Pete

1554-hedgehog-obv.jpg

1554-hedgehog-rev.jpg

Its french I think

Jetton?

• Like 1

I think the text on the reverse is latin and says OMNIQUE or OMNIQVE PARTE TIMENDA. Google translate says this is either EVERY or GLIMMER and DREADED.

Edited by newheart
correct latin translation

6 minutes ago, copper123 said:

Its french I think

Jetton?

Copper123 the thinness of the coin would fit in with a Jetton (I am new to coin collecting and had to Google Jetton!). Thanks for the suggestion.

I have found a similar later French political token online "Original Louis XIV propaganda jetton struck circa 1654. On reverse: a porcupine (i.e. the king) who is "feared from all sides" as the legend says. ". 

3 minutes ago, Flash said:

Thanks Flash. I just found this http://home.golden.net/~eloker/token02.htm which has a few later examples of this jeton. An interesting piece for my new collection, I am quite pleased :-)

The Latin more correctly translates as "to be feared from every side".  Timenda is a gerundive (anyone remember them from their schooldays?!) which conveys a sense of obligation. Sorry... Classics teacher talking here!

• Like 2

sounds like it was a good guess then

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Martinminerva said:

The Latin more correctly translates as "to be feared from every side".  Timenda is a gerundive (anyone remember them from their schooldays?!) which conveys a sense of obligation. Sorry... Classics teacher talking here!

sounds more like a porcupine than a hedgehog then - they are pretty harmless

On 26 September 2017 at 5:31 PM, Martinminerva said:

Listen, you wouldn't believe how long it took me to "get" UT + subjunctive - get out of here with your gerunds!

25 minutes ago, Peckris said:

UT + subjunctive 

That phrase still fills me with terror 58 years on!

• Like 1

Remember we have our own political token series from the bloodless revolution of william and mary .

Very atractive and popular they are to this day as well - the so called pattern farthing series - they did however circulate as coins as well later on and might be considered legal currency , thats the reason they are often found in low grade

If I remember rightly the romans considered porcupines a luxury food like larks tongues in aspic . Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes and . Wolf nipple chips.

Some wild ones that escaped in roman times still live happily is sand dunes in the south of spain , lucky the locals never took to the flavour they prefer churros, LOL

pork.jpg

Edited by copper123