British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
secret santa

Storage of slabbed coins

There are probably previous topics on this subject but I don't want to spend hours searching for them. I have coins slabbed by PCGS, NGC and CGS in my collection. I have a blue PCGS box which the PCGS slabs fit nicely into. NGC slabs are a little higher such that the lid doesn't fit properly, and CGS slabs won't go in at all. Have members found any universal boxes which take all 3 types, or can anyone tell me if CGS sell their own slab boxes ?

Cgs sell there own Richard just phone them up and they will post you one i am sure.

51 minutes ago, secret santa said:

There are probably previous topics on this subject but I don't want to spend hours searching for them. I have coins slabbed by PCGS, NGC and CGS in my collection. I have a blue PCGS box which the PCGS slabs fit nicely into. NGC slabs are a little higher such that the lid doesn't fit properly, and CGS slabs won't go in at all. Have members found any universal boxes which take all 3 types, or can anyone tell me if CGS sell their own slab boxes ?

CGS used to send complimentary boxes to their customers. They also sold them on demand.

It depends on how many slabs you have. I have one of these wooden boxes which houses 24 slabs in 3 tiers. (I am storing CGS and NGC slabs in it at the moment and I am almost certain that PGCS slabs will also fit). I think it is a lot classier than those horrid plastic boxes if you don't mind it taking up more space. 

1 - Copy.JPG

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005VQS6M2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There's also dedicated bespoke cabinets for slabbed coins now, Richard:-

slab cabinet.jpg

Edited by 1949threepence

I use grey NGC boxes for my NGC slabbed coins and blue PCGS boxes for my PCGS slabbed coins. The boxes are made of plastic but are quite sturdy and stack well. Each box holds 20 slabs.

https://www.amazon.com/Storage-Sturdy-storage-graded-collection/dp/B0088YW39Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1506388677&sr=8-1&keywords=NGC+coin+boxes

https://www.amazon.com/PCGS-Plastic-Storage-Slab-Holders/dp/B001NGF8Z2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1506388677&sr=8-2&keywords=NGC+coin+boxes

So to clarify - would all 3 types fit into either the CGS or NGC boxes? (I've only a few slabbed coins but they're all three - would like to get them into 1 20-space box)

On 28/09/2017 at 6:45 PM, pokal02 said:

So to clarify - would all 3 types fit into either the CGS or NGC boxes? (I've only a few slabbed coins but they're all three - would like to get them into 1 20-space box)

No. NGC slabs are thicker, taller and narrower than CGS

Thanks for reply - looks like I'll have to settle for one of the Chinese ones on ebay (as my storage space is limited). 

On 9/25/2017 at 6:42 PM, Sword said:

CGS used to send complimentary boxes to their customers. They also sold them on demand.

This week I emailed Semra at CGS/London Coins to enquire as to whether they can supply CGS storage boxes and, if so, how much they would charge. Semra, without prompting, sent me one free of charge immediately, albeit second hand. Excellent service !!!

• Like 2

Wash it 1st. Semra has left some coin rot spittal