British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Descartes

Edward III Penny

Hi,

This Edward III coin is listed as minted in London which it obviously is'nt as the legend on the reverse starts with 'VILL...'

Could Somebody tell me where it was minted as it's hard to make sense of the other letters, and it doesn't seem to match any of the mints I have listed for Edward III pennies.

Thanks!

Descartes

Edward III penny treaty period.jpg

Didn't get a chance to look, and I'm out for the weekend (50 today), arghh!

there's a chance the pics are mixed up??

Just looked on eBay! They've got the wrong reverse image, it's probably a London as per the description.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Coinery said:

Happy birthday Coinery! :)  :)  :) 

• Like 1

Why thank-you, Sir! And please do call me Stuart, Stu, Stewpot, anything you like, really! ?

• Like 1

I wonder who snaffled it?

A perfectly acceptable Class 1 Henry III went as well 332374030300 . I would've liked the H3 myself. ?

Edited by Coinery

21 hours ago, Coinery said:

Happy birthday for yesterday Stuart. All the best.

Fifty's quite a milestone, any nice prezzies?

12 hours ago, Coinery said:

I wonder who snaffled it?

A perfectly acceptable Class 1 Henry III went as well 332374030300 . I would've liked the H3 myself. ?

I snaffled it Stu ;) ... if you mean the Edward III coin that is! Not sure who got the Henry III penny though. It appears that somebody bought quite a few Henry III pennies all at once from 'Hammered British Coins', as a whole bunch of Henry III are showing up in his recently sold tab on the website.

PS - hope you had a good evening and aren't suffering too much today! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Michael-Roo said:

Happy birthday for yesterday Stuart. All the best.

Fifty's quite a milestone, any nice prezzies?

Cheers, Mick! Yes, a massive milestone, really struggling to get my head around it! I'm reliably informed that 50, 60, and 70 are the new 30 and 40! I felt nothing about being 30 OR 40, but 50 is tough!

Pressies? Joined the sailing club in Frampton, a few beers, and a bite to eat with the family...game of cards to finish (30p up), a perfect birthday! ?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Descartes said:

I snaffled it Stu ;) ... if you mean the Edward III coin that is! Not sure who got the Henry III penny though. It appears that somebody bought quite a few Henry III pennies all at once from 'Hammered British Coins', as a whole bunch of Henry III are showing up in his recently sold tab on the website.

PS - hope you had a good evening and aren't suffering too much today! 

Great evening, thank-you, and head was surprisingly crystal clear in the morning! 

Would love to see the ACTUAL reverse when you get it! ?

2 minutes ago, Coinery said:

Great evening, thank-you, and head was surprisingly crystal clear in the morning! 

Would love to see the ACTUAL reverse when you get it! ?

Hi Stuart, here is the reverse. I asked for the correct image before I handed over my pennies. I suspected the original reverse image was incorrect on ebay, that's why I asked you fantastic people on the forum before I bought it. I also managed to put in a lower offer price which was accepted too :) 

Edward III Treaty Period penny (Reverse).jpg

On 9/24/2017 at 1:04 AM, Coinery said:

Brilliant! You don't see too many in collectable grades! ?

Hi Stu,

Could you tell me what type of Edward III penny it is? I thought it was a treaty period penny, but I've been looking at other treaty period pennies for sale, and it doesn't look like any of them!

Edward III Treaty Period Penny (Observe).jpg

The legend certainly has it as a Treaty Series penny, what are your concerns? I confess to never having researched the edIII series in any great depth, so wouldn't know if continental coins existed for this reign. Time for a bit more reading! ?

8 hours ago, Coinery said:

The legend certainly has it as a Treaty Series penny, what are your concerns? I confess to never having researched the edIII series in any great depth, so wouldn't know if continental coins existed for this reign. Time for a bit more reading! ?

Thanks again, Stu. I definitely will be spending the winter swatting up on the Edward III series'. I've learned that the annual Spink isn't quite enough for identifying some of the pennies. I'm certainly going to focus on building up a better numismatic library this year!

• Like 1

In my modest opinion ,it's a normal Ed III treaty-period penny Type B1, according to Stewartby's book.

• Like 1