British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

newheart

Glossy coins?

Hi, why do some old coins appear to have a sheen or gloss to them? Almost like they have been oiled. Is this natural? Is it desirable? See the attached image for example (yes it is from eBay). Thanks!

coin.jpg

Could be shellacced or lacquered. Was quite common in old days for preserving coins in collections. Some people use ren wax on there bronzes also. I've used treborius balm on a few of my bronzes that where showing green spots. 

Edited by Ukstu
  • Like 1

Thanks Ukstu. I had to Google  ren wax! This is interesting. Gives the coins a nice lustre, and protects, but does it detract from their value? Do other collectors on here treat their coins in any way? TIA, Pete

I've only used it on low value bronzes (stychas) that where breaking out. Obviously after I've cleaned them up. If i had anything of any real value I'd probably not do it. Renaissance wax is used by museums for preserving almost everything once its under gone preservation. I've even heard of people using it on guns. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, newheart said:

Hi, why do some old coins appear to have a sheen or gloss to them? Almost like they have been oiled. Is this natural? Is it desirable? See the attached image for example (yes it is from eBay). Thanks!

coin.jpg

Farthings between 1897-1918 were darkened at the mint ,so as not to be passed over for a half sovereign.

Its known as hypo.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Farthings between 1897-1918 were darkened at the mint ,so as not to be passed over for a half sovereign.

Its known as hypo.

I've heard of that before. Interesting.  I've got a few half pennys of Geo III & IV that are as black as coal but with a sheen almost as if somebody has painted them. Not sure if its a natural occurrence or man made alteration in antiquity. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, newheart said:

I bought some coins from eBay a while ago that had an oily appearance. It was not obvious from the photos but when they arrived it was definitely oily

I put it down to the seller trying to hide scratches as they appeared once I had soaked the coins in acetone.

it could have been olive oil or something similar.

Fortunately one of the coins was an 1897 dot penny that I got at a very cheap price, so I did not complain. I just did not buy anything else from the seller.

I also have some toned coins but the difference in colour and appearance is markedly different.

Edited by IanB
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ukstu said:

I've only used it on low value bronzes (stychas) that where breaking out.

Ukstu, what is stychas?

1 hour ago, PWA 1967 said:

Its known as hypo.

By coincidence I just received a few farthings from that period and they all have a nice dark even sheen to them. As a newbie I have no idea if this sheen is good, bad, natural or added. Looks nice though.

glossy-farthings.jpg

1 hour ago, newheart said:

Ukstu, what is stychas?

Apologies. Typo. I meant styca. (Northumbria saxon) 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Styca

• Like 1